• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Door hinge pin wear

Ghostrider 67

Jack Stand Racer #6..and proud of it!
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:51 AM
Reaction score
Is there any reason I cant add metal to the worn spots and redrill the holes for the pins slightly smaller by a hair? Add metal to the pins and grind down to spec?

I have done just that to repair my hinges. I welded the holes shut and then drilled to correct size. I welded the pins at the wear spot and ground smooth. If the detent rollers are bad, that would have been beyond my capability, with the rivet that holds them together.

I have done just that to repair my hinges. I welded the holes shut and then drilled to correct size. I welded the pins at the wear spot and ground smooth. If the detent rollers are bad, that would have been beyond my capability, with the rivet that holds them together.
I will have to scope those out. Not sure about that items wear. Thanks though! I believe that's what I will do too. Easy Peasy.

So did you close up one hole and use the other as a guide? Then swap?

I bought the $20 bushing/pin kit and could not be happier.
The doors close solid with a slight touch of a finger. To me it was well worth the money. The original pins might be worn and will need to be replaced anyway so I wouldn't even bother wasting my time welding them up drilling out....JM.02

Last edited:
I bought the $20 bushing/pin kit and could not be happier.
The doors close solid with a slight touch of a finger. To me it was well worth the money. The original pins might be worn and will be to be replaced anyway so I wouldn't even bother wasting my time welding them up drilling out....JM.02
I'm curious as to the longevity of these kits. I used the brass bushing and new pins in my Charger. I have not used the doors much since I'm still restoring the car. I would thing the brass bushing was a weak link. Anybody have experience with this?

I'm curious as to the longevity of these kits. I used the brass bushing and new pins in my Charger. I have not used the doors much since I'm still restoring the car. I would thing the brass bushing was a weak link. Anybody have experience with this?
I wondered that too, I figured it's not an everyday driver and should last for quite a while or at least to the next tear down! Lol!

Last edited:
I had the hinges re-bushed and pinned on my GTX.
Although I only put another 12,000 miles on the car, they held up well enough for me. :thumbsup:

Or you can do Like I did to my door hinge pins . . .

Remember the fabrication that I did on the door hinges . . .

From this ( only (2) small 1/8" contact points )

sm_doorhingerepair02-jpg-jpg.jpg

To this with a new sleeve installed for complete contact . . .

sm_doorhingerepair03-jpg-jpg.jpg

Seems to make a HUGE difference on the door . . . or at least I'm hoping that it will . . .

Or you can do Like I did to my door hinge pins . . .

Remember the fabrication that I did on the door hinges . . .

From this ( only (2) small 1/8" contact points )

View attachment 880169

To this with a new sleeve installed for complete contact . . .

View attachment 880170

Seems to make a HUGE difference on the door . . . or at least I'm hoping that it will . . .
So, you welded in support sleeve? With an ID same as pin?

We replace pins and bushings with napa kits. They last for a few years on a everyday driver pickup ect.
On someones garage queen it should pretty much last as long as we do.
All that said, bushings work fine but no its not correct for ma mopar and if you had a numbers V code , hemi , ect It would have to get correct replacements / repops or welded and drilled

I'm gonna have to do something soon on my drivers door, too.
It's gotten pretty routine to grab a hammer before every drive and give the pin a beatin'.
Nothing more fun than having the door try to fall off in a public parking lot in front of a lot of folks. :)

Just need the S spring for early B Body [62-64] anyone know where to find them.
Thanks

Yes, that pic was before welding . . . Made a HUGE difference on the feel of the door stability too
I dislike the heavy feel of the door as well. I would rather it operated with a finger tip push instead of both hands and a hip bump...

Auto Transport Service
Back