• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Door stuck

patrick66

Local time
1:08 PM
Reaction score
On my '66 Coronet hardtop, the passenger door is stuck shut. I can lock/unlock the door with the button and the key, but neither inner or outer door release will open the door. Now I have to remove the inner door card, but getting to the armrest screws is proving difficult. And removing the passenger seat to get to them, hell, I might as well remove both front seats and the console to get there. Anyone had thos issue before?

I need to get that armrest off. And i need to figure out what might be wrong with the door itself. Any ideas? Thanks!

On my '66 Coronet hardtop, the passenger door is stuck shut. I can lock/unlock the door with the button and the key, but neither inner or outer door release will open the door. Now I have to remove the inner door card, but getting to the armrest screws is proving difficult. And removing the passenger seat to get to them, hell, I might as well remove both front seats and the console to get there. Anyone had thos issue before?

I need to get that armrest off. And i need to figure out what might be wrong with the door itself. Any ideas? Thanks!
yes, Get a metal coat hanger, bend it to look like a long J hook, slide it down along the glass, feel around until you feel it hook on the linkage, and pull up. That may not work though if something with the linkage has broken. My guess is one of the plastic pieces holding the linkages to the latch has broken. Or worst yet, the lever has broken.

You can roll the window down and maybe get a better look at the linkage inside the door. If it looks like it's all working you might have to give it a kick from inside the car.

Once it's open check the linkage adjustment . There is a hole in the edge of the door through which a hex wrench is inserted to remove any slack in the linkage-just loosen the screw and then tighten. The linkage is spring loaded to self adjust.
Mike

The armrest should take a large phillips head driver from an upward angle 2 screws.
Did you try lifting up on the door when attempting to open it?

Auto Transport Service
Back