• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Door Vent 70 Charger/71 R/T Concept Charger

JR_Charger

Local time
6:09 PM
Reaction score
1971_Charger_Concept_door_vent.jpg

Did any of the 70 Charger door vents come without the R/T badge inset into it?

Is anyone out there familiar with this purple car? At first I thought the builder used a 70 Charger vent and modified it to fit the 71 door, but I think 70 has a crease in the middle and this one doesn't appear to. If this is 100% custom, the dimensions could be totally different.

There are no limits to any custom parts on those 1971 wing cars. A very talented group built them.

No factory 1970 Charger scoops made without the R/T inset in them.

Yeah, I wish they made the parts for the R/t concept - much more reasonable for the average person to own than the 3rd gen wing cars they did.

I gave those scoops to Gary,they are 70 pieces that were modified to fit the contour of the 71 Charger doors.

Yeah, I wish they made the parts for the R/t concept - much more reasonable for the average person to own than the 3rd gen wing cars they did.
The rear wing on that car is completely hand made to match the one in the 71 Charger prototype photographs,it never made production.it is a masterpiece.

Year One used to sell reproduction door scoops with or without the R/T impressions in them.

The rear wing on that car is completely hand made to match the one in the 71 Charger prototype photographs,it never made production. it is a masterpiece.
It is functional too and can be electrically operated from inside the car.

I'd love to find a source for the door scoops without the inset.

That wing, I am determined to have it. I've built R/C planes, I think I can build that wing too. I know I can build it, it's just a question of materials. Aluminum might be a possibility, if there's a company out there that will machine it from a 3D file. That's probably the most expensive option by far. What I think is the best option is to hotwire a straight section from foam, lay it over the trunk lid to get the curvature right, glue carbon fiber spars in to hold the curvature, then cover it with carbon fiber and vacuum bag it. Pretty standard R/C stuff.

I see no reason why it couldn't be actuated with R/C servos. Someone makes a servo that can handle that much aerodynamic force and more. I haven't flown anything that big myself, but I'm sure it's out there.

My main worry is being able to lay carbon fiber as precisely as would be needed in an auto application, since everyone will be looking at it.

If I do the wing I could do the door scoops as well. The chin spoiler would also be a good candidate, but if the front is dropped would the deeper spoiler be viable? The production spoiler might be a better choice.

When Gary was building the wing,he had it going straight across the trunk lid,and it wasn't flowing with the contour of the trunklid. The trunklid actually has a crown to it even though it looks straight,it also has curvature to the rear edge even though it also looks flat! My friend Jeff and I had to break it to Gary who had already had several days of fabrication into the wing,that it wasn't flowing with the contour of the lid. It wasn't what he wanted to hear at all,but we got a roll of tape and some cardboard and a pair of scissors and showed him what we believed it should look like. We also reconfigured the side pieces of the wing to follow the shape of the quarters better. Gary hand made the wing out of tig welded aluminum. It took Gary three more days of labor and three more attempts to get it spot on. He nailed it,but he wasn't too happy with Jeff and I for giving him three more days of extra labor! Lol We weren't invited back for a while! Lol

You could use fine chopped tiger hair fiberglass to fill in the impression for the R/T emblems.

Ah, so I see you were involved with the fabrication process. Do you have access to the technical data? Are there any blueprints floating around out there?

I noticed the curvature of the trunk. I took my trunk lid off a while back so I could try painting the roof. It's been sitting by my workbench all winter long, getting in the way.

The front-to-back curvature poses more of a problem than the vertical curvature, but with the right foam I think it could be cut straight and bent into shape. It would result in a longer airfoil on the ends, but it might not be enough to worry about. Alternatively, I could build a "buck" wing and take a mold off of it - which would then take up space in my garage until the end of time.

Are the 70 Charger door vents the same as the 71 R/T concept vents? For all I know they only look the same, but are totally different.

I've heard that the 71 Charger was supposed to come out in 70, but was delayed due to a union strike. I've been wondering which car the 70 vents were originally made for - the 2nd or 3rd gen. It seems possible that, instead of carrying over from the 2nd gen to 3rd gen, they could have gone from the 71 R/T concept to the 2nd Gen Charger. But maybe not

Gary did all the fabrication work. We went to check out his progress and gave our opinion on what the wing needed to look like. He agreed and made it happen that's what he does! He put the scoops on standard 71 Charger doors and had to recontour them where they made contact with the doors. The scoops are made of composite material so the can be reworked fairly easily. He also sanded the peak out of the center on the exterior of the scoops to make the flow better with the lines of the Coke bottle 71 Charger. My parents bought a Dodge Charger R/T SE new in 1970,and the 71 Chargers weren't out yet when they bought their car. I remember seeing them on the lot later on when they brought their car in for service. This car was our family car from 1970 until 1982.

moms Charger.jpg

The vertical curvature was the most differcult part for him to get right. When the spoiler was flat it was closer in the center and farther away from the top of the lid on the sides. To achieve an even gap between the lid and the bottom edge of the wing,the underside of the blade had to be sliced it the center bent and tig welded after being bent,twice when he tigged it on the underside,when it cooled it pulled it back straight again. it took three attempts to get it crowned properly! There were no blueprints,it was built from scaling it off the two known photographs from the Dodge design studio.

Is Gary on the board?

So you are saying Gary did use the Factory 70 Charger door vents on the 71 R/T concept?

Interesting to know they are a composite material. I assumed they were metal. Makes it easier for me to modify them if I want to go that way.

Did Chrysler ever make a 71 R/T concept? They may have begun developing it before the 70 Charger. If there was a last minute decision to continue the 2nd gen Charger for another year, they may have moved the door vents over to the 70 in the hope of boosting sales.

Is Gary on the board?

So you are saying Gary did use the Factory 70 Charger door vents on the 71 R/T concept?

Interesting to know they are a composite material. I assumed they were metal. Makes it easier for me to modify them if I want to go that way.

Did Chrysler ever make a 71 R/T concept? They may have begun developing it before the 70 Charger. If there was a last minute decision to continue the 2nd gen Charger for another year, they may have moved the door vents over to the 70 in the hope of boosting sales.
Sometimes Gary checks out the site,but I don't know if he is a member. I gave Gary the pair of 70 Charger r/T door scoops that he modified and put on the car. I donated them to the project. I am sure they made clay mockups of the 71 cars as it was an all new body. I have a picture of the second gen mockup from 1965.

tumblr_mrsxje8OdY1qcdxvpo1_1280.jpg

I wonder how that rear window would have done at NASCAR . . .

I saw a pair of door scoops on eBay for $960. I wouldn't think of molesting an original pair if they're worth that much. I'll have to try to fabricate them.

I have a pair of workable scoops for $250 if you want them. On Gary's landspeed cars,he raised the forward edge of the Dutch panel to change the angle of the rear glass to decrease turbulence in that area. Supposedly that is an old Nascar trick and is one of the reasons why they use templates on modern Nascars today. Gary has pictures of his cars in the wind tunnel being tested.

20221231_145127.jpg

20221231_145016.jpg

20221231_145115.jpg

20221226_185243.jpg

Last edited:
I'm going to try making them out of carbon fiber, when I get to that point, but thanks for the offer. Originals deserve to be on a 2nd gen.

Auto Transport Service
Back