• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

door window regulator arm nylon guide

leutdan

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:39 PM
Reaction score
I am attempting to replace the nylon wheel at the end of the door regulator arm. The original is secured to the arm with a machined rivet head on one side and a large flat headed keeper on the other. I am not certain how they are joined together. I have attempted to turn the large flat head in hopes they are screwed together but no luck. What is the best method to separate the two heads and remove the old nylon wheel? Note in the pics that the flat headed keeper has a smooth shaft to which I will need to connect something to keep it in place. If I drill the old rivet head out, I am not sure what that will be. Help me please.

IMG_5256.jpg IMG_5257.jpg

I did this work on my '97 Dodge 1500 some years ago though not aware of what your ride has. I got some nylon rollers from a dealer (not mopar...GM go figure) as the mopar dealer said I'd have to replace the entire regulator - no parts for it. I boiled the rollers so they became pliable to press onto the roller. Yours look different than what I had though, so my post could be useless for ya...anyway just in case I chimed in.

Care fully grind the peaned end of till you are at the regulator arm. You will clearly see the outline of the hole You should be able to support the arm and drive it out. On my last one I measured and the amount of play and decided to leave them alone. My old roller was actually a few thousands larger and the shaft plat was near the same. CCJ.

After you remove the old roller pin the new one should fit in the hole then you peen the end down with the round head of a ball peen hammer , hence the name , you are flattening the end and it spreads out and is tight in the hole keep peening until its a slightly rounded hump

2BF7C467-F825-468D-8C1E-9EF5A8708F92.png
Just lay the roller end down on something flat holding the regulator arm on it and flatten the pin tight

Tip: Before you start to "Peen" the stub over, Get a friend to hold the whole regulator
and roller assembly so that the end facing down is flat against a good sized piece of
steel or an anvil. If It's not held flat, you'll bend the rim and the roller won't turn freely.
If you have an air hammer or air chisel, you can use that with a slightly rounded, almost
flat anvil. That should make it easier and take less time.Good luck!

I had to replace them on my '74 Cougar XR7, thankfully after you grind off the rivet end, the new one had threads and a nylock nut. So much easier.

Tip: Before you start to "Peen" the stub over, Get a friend to hold the whole regulator
and roller assembly so that the end facing down is flat against a good sized piece of
steel or an anvil. If It's not held flat, you'll bend the rim and the roller won't turn freely.
If you have an air hammer or air chisel, you can use that with a slightly rounded, almost
flat anvil. That should make it easier and take less time.Good luck!

Auto Transport Service
Back