• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dougs headers force removal of transmission bracket

Vanderstel

Local time
8:49 AM
Reaction score
I just test fit my Dougs headers on my 318. Going in a 67 Satellite, I'm using a mini starter. Very tight fit, nice fit, so tight I had to remove the two brackets, one on each side, from the block to the transmission. Someone told me no big deal removing the brackets.

The engine isn't in the car yet, but I wanted to test fit as much as I can before it goes in.

Is this common? To leave the brackets off?

I just test fit my Dougs headers on my 318. Going in a 67 Satellite, I'm using a mini starter. Very tight fit, nice fit, so tight I had to remove the two brackets, one on each side, from the block to the transmission. Someone told me no big deal removing the brackets.

The engine isn't in the car yet, but I wanted to test fit as much as I can before it goes in.

Is this common? To leave the brackets off?
I wouldn't worry about it on a cruiser.
Mike

Wouldn't those be considered more of a brace, versus a bracket ? Sorry, can't help myself, ha-ha.

Yes, it's pretty common. I was only able to use one bracket on my 65 Barracuda with Doug's hsaders. 440'

My 72 charger with the small block was the same way I had to go with out them.. I don’t like doing that either.

The factory put those braces on for a reason.... Watch for a cracked transmission case if you delete them!

I'd make some or modify those. If one fits you probably be OK. How's thst for a wishy washy answer!:rolleyes:

TTI's on the SBx340 Dart.. neither brace can be left in place..
1969dartcleanupweek17 132.JPG
1969dartcleanupweek17 133.JPG

IIRC when I put the 360 in my daily driver/tow vehicle, 1976 Dodge van with some very inexpensive headers, I had to delete the braces. Think I put at least 35,000 miles on it after that with no problems. Many, many long drives, 200 miles or more towing my trailer & race car. Minnesota or Wisconsin roads are not the smoothest either.

The Doug's headers were a great fit in my '68 Coronet... but the braces are sitting on one of my stack of parts in the barn.

The brackets have been off my blown small block since the early 80s. Hundreds of 11 second passes. Never hurt the block. I would say I've never seen those brackets used in a racecar. My buddy's 9 second Hemi has the lower right block hole turn off from a trans explosion. Still going strong. Don't worry about it.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back