• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Downsides to owning a 413?

Sam69sat

Local time
1:46 AM
Reaction score
Had a guy offer me a 413 out of a 65 chrysler that supposedly runs great. What are the downsides to owning a 413? I've read pistons are tough/impossible to come but are there any other difference that would keep a guy from bolting up an a833 or 727 that are newer than a 1965 413?

Everything fits... Just like a 440... Early ones have the extended crank flange but that went away earlier, I think 62 but not certain...As you know pistons would be custom but beyond that your good...

they are a great engine, closed chamber heads 10:1 compression. Does it turn over? Can you re-ring it and run it With the original pistons?

About the only downside is piston selection. Folks going fast talk about shrouded valves due to the smaller bore but that’s down the road after you have been building it and want to go real fast Racing.

the different crank was 1959-1961 with the cast iron torqueflight trans

they are a great engine, closed chamber heads 10:1 compression. Does it turn over? Can you re-ring it and run it With the original pistons?

About the only downside is piston selection. Folks going fast talk about shrouded valves due to the smaller bore but that’s down the road after you have been building it and want to go real fast Racing.

the different crank was 1959-1961 with the cast iron torqueflight trans

I'll go check it out but sounds like it turns free. The guy is a mechanic and said it fired right up and ran great when he pulled it from the chrysler. Been sitting under a covered porch for years with the cylinders filled with diesel. Said he had plans to put it in his dodge firewood pickup but never got around to it and the 318 is still up to the task and way cheaper to run.

I know The Beach Boys didn’t like the 413, but I haven’t found a reason to not like it:thumbsup:

FD9988B9-7DF0-45D9-9886-7B9498A0D33B.jpeg

336BF11D-47D8-411E-8AA2-04D23E548E0D.jpeg

No downside. It's just a RB wedge like the 426 and 440. If it runs good you don't need pistons. If it needs rebuilding Egge Machine has stock replacement pistons and any piston manufacturer can make you up a set for it.
Had a guy offer me a 413 out of a 65 chrysler that supposedly runs great. What are the downsides to owning a 413? I've read pistons are tough/impossible to come but are there any other difference that would keep a guy from bolting up an a833 or 727 that are newer than a 1965 413?

Egge was about the only place to get 361 pistons too! Dont let that deter you. These were unique engines. Grab that 413!

Last edited:
Egge was about the only place to get 361 pistons too! Dont let that deter you. These were unique engines. Grab that 413!

And HP 273 slugs. My machine shop was impressed with the quality and precision.

010700_1422[00].jpg

010700_1802[00].jpg

Attachments

• 041900951351[00].jpg
    041900951351[00].jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 50
IMO.....the only thing wrong with the 413 engine in question is: you did not get it for free. The 413 is a great engine, save for the piston availability but the piston issue has been discussed. Remember the Beach Boy's song: "The Little Old Lady ftom Pasadena".....and her bright red Super Stock Dodge......
BOB RENTON

You can always bore that 413 out to 4.25" and have a 426 wedge!
Sure, only 0.0625" to get to std size 4.250" bore for a 426W, BUT you still have to get EGGE/Custom pistons because stock replacements are not readily available...

Last edited:
Tens years ago. My machinist said to never buy egge pistons, he had one break in a new engine while idling. Says the quality is terrible

Your mileage may vary

Tens years ago. My machinist said to never buy egge pistons, he had one break in a new engine while idling. Says the quality is terrible

Your mileage may vary
Hopefully, not to jynx myself, I have installed a dozen or two over the years, and have not had any problems. They do usually require more clearance than most people would like on a cast piston, ~0.0025", and who knows if some shops even read the install specs. The last set I used were a '55 Hemi set I put into a '54 (ups compression an "RCH") and are running great.

These are for a '39 GM 216 6cyl...

thumbnail_IMG_2309.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2308.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2307.jpg

Last edited:
I snagged a 413 block for my 63 Belvedere for that Era correctness with the crossram induction. I have since sold the Belvedere. Now will have to use this block in something else.

Lol, if I recall the tune ‘shut it down’ don’t think the boys ever said exactly that the 413 lost did they?
Pedal's to the floor hear the dual quads drink

And now the four-thirteen's lead is startin' to shrink

He's hot with ram induction but it's understood

I got a fuel injected engine sittin' under my hood

I think the Vette won.

IMO.....the only thing wrong with the 413 engine in question is: you did not get it for free. The 413 is a great engine, save for the piston availability but the piston issue has been discussed. Remember the Beach Boy's song: "The Little Old Lady ftom Pasadena".....and her bright red Super Stock Dodge......
BOB RENTON
Don't see anywhere in this thread what he paid for it or got it for free.....or not.....

I think the Vette won.
Yeah, there's a line in there saying something like "i shut you down", meaning the vette won.
A few years ago, one of the Mopar magazines actually staged that race, between a 63 fuel injected stingray and a 413 super stock dodge. As expected by everybody but the Chevy boys, the Mopar destroyed the vette.

Don't see anywhere in this thread what he paid for it or got it for free.....or not.....

I'm pretty sure it won't be free but i haven't even gone to look at it yet. The owner came over to visit my dad yesterday and saw my 67 coronet 4dr parts car out in the field. He asked if i was into mopars and a little while later he mentioned he had a 413 that he probably wasn't ever going to use. I wasn't that interested at first until i looked up the horsepower and torque specs for a 65 413 4bbl.

I think the Vette won.
Okay, the lead’s ‘startin to shrink’; BUT where-when assuming ¼ mile? Nada word about winning? I’ll go on believing the Beach Boys were biased and didn’t want to admit the Dodge’s lead didn’t shrink fast enough – lol. Was it the Little old lady from Pasadena running the Vette? Guess we’ll never know...as usual the tune it racing through my head now. One of my favorite old tunes.

Auto Transport Service
Back