• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dr Diff Disc conversion kit and new brake lines

dasol7172

Local time
10:50 AM
Reaction score
So my 70 RR is a drum/drum manual car and I got the Dr Diff conversion and stainless brakelines. What kit can i order to get all new brake lines up front, both to calipers and cross over with the disto block to rear differential. I asked Dr Diff and they responded with nothing that is really helpful as i kinda thought they would see what kit i got and then be like on yeah this brake line kit is what you need. But I guess not. as I see differing things online with only disk brake line kits being for Power Drum, Power Brake or manual Drum.. is there any difference going to manual disc for this can i just order a manual drum setup? I cant really tell from what pics i see to indicate anything and was wanting to see if someone has hands on exp with this.

Thanks!

Should be self explanatory, you received new braided lines for front discs from factory drum hard line to disc caliper. So, you would need new drum hard lines if you're wanting to replace the hardlines.

I got my kit from Dr Diff, but ended up needing to order all lines for my 64 Fury. I got them from Inline Tube. They fit and worked well. It was a bit aggravating for me, as they only sell a complete kit for early b bodies, and I had already gotten front lines from Dr Diff. You may be able to purchase a partial kit for your more popular 70 model car. Check out their website. Thy have a good selection of the brass blocks and fittings too.

Fabricating brake lines is pretty basic as a mechanical skill. Everyone should learn how.
Mike

I got my kit from Dr Diff, but ended up needing to order all lines for my 64 Fury. I got them from Inline Tube. They fit and worked well. It was a bit aggravating for me, as they only sell a complete kit for early b bodies, and I had already gotten front lines from Dr Diff. You may be able to purchase a partial kit for your more popular 70 model car. Check out their website. Thy have a good selection of the brass blocks and fittings too.
Yeah I emailed Dr Diff and they have a few drop downs that you have to select on the line ordering page and I am not sure what they mean as I don't know. So unlike everyone else here who is an expert in everything I need to ask questions. Thanks for your info I appreciate it i will check out that vendor.

So unlike everyone else here who is an expert in everything I need to ask questions.
1 laugh 6.jpg

Experts?
Come on.....most of the guys here are just enthusiasts with experience. Personally, I can do a lot of things but I'm always looking for a better-easier-faster way. I'm soaking up information at every opportunity.
A few years back I bought a fuel line-brake line flaring tool from Eastwood. Before that, I got by using crappy Harbor Freight stuff that sucked !
I formed my own brake lines from then on and while they are not factory correct, they fit and don't leak.
YOU can do this.

Yeah I emailed Dr Diff and they have a few drop downs that you have to select on the line ordering page and I am not sure what they mean as I don't know. So unlike everyone else here who is an expert in everything I need to ask questions. Thanks for your info I appreciate it i will check out that vendor.
Ever consider picking up the phone? Cass is a real helpful fella...

Last time I called, about a month ago, he's only taking emails, no calls.
First thing I tried and got the message on the voicemail. I sent the email as on the website there are quite a few drop downs you need to select from and since I am doing the conversion I just was not sure on what one to pick. I am kind of fed up with this car, so if I had paid money and waited and it arrived being the wrong thing because I picked it wrong I would probably close up the garage and not come back for a while.

So was trying to avoid it by getting the right thing from the place that sold it. My patience is thin with this thing gents. Its been no source of joy since I've had it and in 5 years I have driven it twice. Also have some issues with how the shop that did the body work treated it and me. So if I wouldn't take a huge loss selling it.. I probably would have washed my hands of it long ago. But too deep in it now.

As for my issue. Ended up ordering a line kit and will bend it myself. I originally was going to do it.. but with rebuilding the front end and the blasting and scale/rust removal I will have to do, I wanted something I could just toss in there and get it done. Thanks for everyone's input.

Frustration…that is an emotion that I’ve dealt with all too often. My cognitive reasoning goes out the window when I’m angry. So often, I’ll forget the proper procedure simply because I am tired or angry.
I have posted here and elsewhere asking how to fix something and later when I have calmed down, if someone hasn’t replied, I usually remember how to do it.
Oddly, I can deal with large problems quite well. I am solid as a rock with big problems but these small details eat away at my patience.
I get what you mean by being burned out with the car. I’ve had project cars that fight me at every turn. These are cars that I fix to sell so I can’t just do crappy work if I want to get decent money.
These projects are not like my own cars where I can take my time. These need to move or I’m not making money.
Sometimes it helps to walk away and return once the frustration subsides.

I hear your frustration with the front disc brakes. On my 67 Charger, I did buy the master cylinder and booster fron Dr Diff. At the time ( 2 yrs ago) he was very helpful by phone and email. I had my original Bendix 4 piston calipers rebuilt by Calipers Online, very easy to talk with and great customer service. My problem has been the brake lines for the front disc caliper. The front left caliper brake line will not seat correctly. I have bought new lines, bent by in-lines and a set from Classic tube. On the Classic Tube lines, I returned them as they were too short and did not fit. They rebent me a set to my specs and the passenger side fit but the driver side still leaked. I then was introduced on this Forum with a washer that was supposed to seal the caliper brake line. I bought a bag of 10, they are so small you can barely hold one to get it into the cavity or onto the end of the brake line with grease. After trying several times, my front left disc brake line leaks. I just bought a new set of calipers hoping that the caliper brake lines seats well and does not leak And with regard to bending my own, I did that too. Bought at least 3 bending tools and never once was able to make the bend correctly. It has been a nightmare for 2 years. Very frustrating.

front left brake caliper line close-up.jpg

Driver side caliper brake line.JPG

Last edited:
Wow. Yeah that sounds like a pain in the rear. For mine we got the front driver side bent out and the new front to rear section done. I kept the original pass side and the new(er) rear diff axel lines all in with the new master from the Dr. Diff kit.

You are saying that in Dr Diff's kit, he included the front caliper brake line, as shown in my pictures above?

You are saying that in Dr Diff's kit, he included the front caliper brake line, as shown in my pictures above?
Dean Prevolos,
I don't recognize the line that is shown in your pictures. My kit did not contain anything that looked like that. Is it something specific to the 4 piston calipers? On the kit I got from Dr Diff, the calipers were like the later Chrysler single piston calipers. On my 64 Fury, the hard line that I got is shown in the picture. The left front hard line goes from the brass block to the bracket on the frame. The rubber flex line goes from it directly into the caliper itself. Hope this helps answer your question.
DSC01604edited.jpg

DSC01607.JPG

Last edited:
My Charger has the 4 piston Bendix calipers and they are different than yours. I have a back-up set of calipers and yesterday I removed the driver side caliper and replaced with the newly refurbished caliper. The top of the caliper brake line still leaked with my new brake line that came with my kit. I have bought three (3) brake lines and even sent back one to have it rebent to the correct size. After the line was leaking I went to the auto store and bought a brake line and made the bends just to see if it would still leak and it did. I don't understand why this driver side brake line will not seat securely to my Bendix caliper. The passenger side is perfectly fine and I replaced that one a year ago with a new brake line. Very frustrating!

Driver side caliper leak close up highlighted.jpg

front left brake caliper line.jpg

In the top picture, the yellow circled flare nut, it looks like the hex is seated firmly against the caliper body. I don't see any threads left exposed. Are you sure the flare nut is long enough to actually be compressing the double flare to the seat inside the caliper? The bottom picture does show some exposed threads. Are these pics both of the same line at different times?

@Big Bad Dad has a point. Another could be that after 3 brake lines, it's not the brake lines, it's the seat on the caliper that is bad.

In the top picture, the yellow circled flare nut, it looks like the hex is seated firmly against the caliper body. I don't see any threads left exposed. Are you sure the flare nut is long enough to actually be compressing the double flare to the seat inside the caliper? The bottom picture does show some exposed threads. Are these pics both of the same line at different times?
I installed the same line on two different calipers. I had bought a second set of calipers for future needs. When the first caliper leaked at the top, I installed the second caliper and the nut threaded all the way in. I wrote to Cass (Dr Diff) and he questioned the same observation. He sent me an email this morning with a picture of the correct lines (#RFB 6850) I need, see photo. I went to his website to order but could not find this part number so I wrote him again to ask how to purchase.

correct disc brake lines.jpg

@Big Bad Dad has a point. Another could be that after 3 brake lines, it's not the brake lines, it's the seat on the caliper that is bad.
Yes I agree, I thought it might be the caliper seat BUT I have a second set of new calipers that I installed and it still leaked. I have taken a photo of the seat and attached. I even tried another Forum member recommendation to install a Parker 2GF-3 washer, see attached photo, and it still leaked. I hope I can find a pair of the brake lines dr Diff says I need.

fluid seat in caliper.jpg

brake line seal.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back