• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Drag radials

Aron Gleason

Local time
11:41 AM
Reaction score
I'm wanting to possibly get Mickey Thompson Et street radial Pros. Mostly street car with occasional drag racing. I know they say for track use only, but has anyone ran them on the street? Are they a wrinkle wall?

I ended up with the S/S very happy. Better for hot street use

Don't know about the Mickey's, but the BFG Drag Radial (true street tread 325/50-15) worked very well on street & at the track. In back to back testing my old school Phoenix bias slicks were only slightly quicker. Didn't want to waste tread on the BFG's at the track.

Edit: The BFG's were not good in the rain. I had to be very careful on the throttle. 500" motor & fairly loose convertor, 4.10's.

Last edited:
I'm running them on a low 10-second street car and they are very good. Not wrinkle wall and very stable "normal" driving. I have the 275/60 15s on a 7" rim and they are actually a little bigger than other 275s, if fitment issues are a concern. No tread at all, so consider that if you might get stuck in the rain! I agree with Mike- the S/S might be the better way to go depending on your power level. I ended up with Nittos (same size) for an 11-second ride and they are great too.

I'm wanting to possibly get Mickey Thompson Et street radial Pros. Mostly street car with occasional drag racing. I know they say for track use only, but has anyone ran them on the street? Are they a wrinkle wall?

Dry street they are fine. Wet, be real careful if you have to drive in the rain.

Dry street they are fine. Wet, be real careful if you have to drive in the rain.
They are still a lot better than the Hoosiers I used to run in the rain but, they don't hook up nearly as well. On the other hand, it doesn't feel like riding on a bowl of Jello like the bias ply Hoosiers!
Mike

I've got a pair of the 315 pro's, but I haven't tried them yet, the car isn't ready. I also have some giant Hoosier bias QTP's, but I don't know which works better. Both have dot, but the mickeys say in big letters, not for highway use. The qtp are street legal.
All in all, for a primarily street car (your description) with less than 500 whp, I would recommend the street R, or the street ss, rather than the pro's.

20190604_131421.jpg

Mostly street car with occasional drag racing.
The BFG's were not good in the rain.
No tread at all, so consider that if you might get stuck in the rain
So my emphasis is:
Mostly street use
AND
Wet driving dangers...
I had Nitto 555R drag radials on my 89 Conquest TSi and they were a few months old, great tread. I was driving from south Louisiana to Atlanta for a Starion/Conquest meet. On a great blacktop highway, Interstate, not the kind with those goose **** slick pebbles in it, so a good surface. 75 mph took it down to 60 when the medium light rain started. 10 minutes later, on a straight as an arrow stretch, the *** end suddenly had a mind of its own. It kicked out right, left, and right, with me doing what I could as a very experienced driver, having done power slides, doughnuts, brake slides, etc since I was 16, and I was in my 40s when I had the TSi.
Wound up in the tall grass between the two highways, no drop-off, no culvert or trees etc. I was able to drive out and other than a lot of grass on my car and a butt pucker that lasted an hour after, no damage, BUT IT COULD HAVE been very different and deadly! They worked well at the track, but I'll never own them again.
NOW on my 70 Roadrunner, when I installed the 9" W x 17" diameter w/5" backspace Year One aluminum Rallye wheels, I took a guess at what would fit and got a pair of Toyo Proxes TQ drag radials in 315/35/17 size. They fit like they could have been factory equipment! NO rubbing anywhere ever, good at the track from what I can tell, BUT I have a manual transmission and the line lock I had installed in late 2020 has never been used, so I have to see how they work with a little more heat in them other than the dry box clutch dump and spins I'd been limited to.
FOR ME, the MOST IMPORTANT THING was good, reliable rain performance, because although I try to NEVER drive or go to an event where rain is likely (I don't like my car to get wet) it happens...
NEVER one problem in the rain or on a wet surface, NEVER, and I'll need to replace them in this year, after over 3½ years of use!
OUTSTANDING TREAD PATTERN AND "VOID" to let the water find its way out.
If you crash, you know the range of consequences!
I am not beyond a street challenge every now and then, so their overall traction is important, but NOTHING is as important as wet surface performance. If that fails, well...
Here they are. If you are looking for a taller sidewall ratio, good luck, but I'll be getting another set of Toyo Proxes TQ drag radials, except I'm going to try the 345/40 size and see if they fit.
Link: https://www.toyotires.com/product/proxes-tq/
Screenshot_20220103-183914_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220103-183947_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220103-184025_Gallery.jpg
20220103_184200.jpg
Screenshot_20220103-184109_Gallery.jpg

I run M/T Drag Radial Pro's on the street and strip. No issues at all and don't even wear out as fast as you would think. To say they are sticky and hook is an understatement. My brother was following behind me to a cruise night one night and when I change lanes in front of him he said I peeled the white line right up off the road when getting over a lane. Partial of the line was still on the tire when we got to the cruise night.

20211020_193534.jpg IMG_8680.jpg

Last edited:
I run M/T Drag Radial Pro's on the street and strip. No issues at all and don't even wear out as fast as you would think. To say they are sticky and hook is an understatement. My brother was following behind me to a cruise night one night and when I change lanes in front of him he said I peeled the white line right up off the road when getting over a lane.
:thumbsup:

I run M/T Drag Radial Pro's on the street and strip. No issues at all and don't even wear out as fast as you would think. To say they are sticky and hook is an understatement. My brother was following behind me to a cruise night one night and when I change lanes in front of him he said I peeled the white line right up off the road when getting over a lane.

View attachment 1227300 View attachment 1227301
Thank you for the great feedback. That's what I wanted to know

How are they holding up? I just ordered a set of MT Street Pros to replace a worn set of Nitto 555Rs

I ran the et drag radials on a super bitchen 347 lx fox 5spd on the street and they were great at 18psi. Super sketch in the rain. Terrifying in the rain.

So my emphasis is:
Mostly street use
AND
Wet driving dangers...
I had Nitto 555R drag radials on my 89 Conquest TSi and they were a few months old, great tread. I was driving from south Louisiana to Atlanta for a Starion/Conquest meet. On a great blacktop highway, Interstate, not the kind with those goose **** slick pebbles in it, so a good surface. 75 mph took it down to 60 when the medium light rain started. 10 minutes later, on a straight as an arrow stretch, the *** end suddenly had a mind of its own. It kicked out right, left, and right, with me doing what I could as a very experienced driver, having done power slides, doughnuts, brake slides, etc since I was 16, and I was in my 40s when I had the TSi.
Wound up in the tall grass between the two highways, no drop-off, no culvert or trees etc. I was able to drive out and other than a lot of grass on my car and a butt pucker that lasted an hour after, no damage, BUT IT COULD HAVE been very different and deadly! They worked well at the track, but I'll never own them again.
NOW on my 70 Roadrunner, when I installed the 9" W x 17" diameter w/5" backspace Year One aluminum Rallye wheels, I took a guess at what would fit and got a pair of Toyo Proxes TQ drag radials in 315/35/17 size. They fit like they could have been factory equipment! NO rubbing anywhere ever, good at the track from what I can tell, BUT I have a manual transmission and the line lock I had installed in late 2020 has never been used, so I have to see how they work with a little more heat in them other than the dry box clutch dump and spins I'd been limited to.
FOR ME, the MOST IMPORTANT THING was good, reliable rain performance, because although I try to NEVER drive or go to an event where rain is likely (I don't like my car to get wet) it happens...
NEVER one problem in the rain or on a wet surface, NEVER, and I'll need to replace them in this year, after over 3½ years of use!
OUTSTANDING TREAD PATTERN AND "VOID" to let the water find its way out.
If you crash, you know the range of consequences!
I am not beyond a street challenge every now and then, so their overall traction is important, but NOTHING is as important as wet surface performance. If that fails, well...
Here they are. If you are looking for a taller sidewall ratio, good luck, but I'll be getting another set of Toyo Proxes TQ drag radials, except I'm going to try the 345/40 size and see if they fit.
Link: Drag Radials Optimized for Straight-Line Performance - Proxes TQ
View attachment 1217878 View attachment 1217879 View attachment 1217880 View attachment 1217881 View attachment 1217883
Who would ever go 60 in the rain on a drag radial??? I think the most important aspect of running a drag radial on the street and that is all I have ever run is plain common sense, they work ok at best depending upon power levels....obviously guys with tall gears and less power will have much better experiences.

Who would ever go 60 in the rain on a drag radial??? I think the most important aspect of running a drag radial on the street and that is all I have ever run is plain common sense, they work ok at best depending upon power levels....obviously guys with tall gears and less power will have much better experiences.
Sometimes we learn what we shouldn't do, by doing it. When I was a little kid, I learned which end of a hot soldering iron NOT to pick up..... the hard way.

My experience with drag radials on the street was dry roads only. A slight bit of rain would make my car real hard to control. About 20 MPH to go straight.

Who would ever go 60 in the rain on a drag radial??
I haven't had ANY wet condition problems with the Toyo Proxes TQ drag radials that have been on my car around 4 years now. I wouldn't think about wet surface driving with so called "cheater slicks" or any other "DOT" approved drag tire that has little or minimal tread voids.
The Nitto 555R drag radials looked like they should be OK in the rain or on wet surfaces, but I learned an indelible lesson that they were NOT, at least for me.
The reason why I'm looking for other options that have better track grip but are still viable on a wet/rained on surface is the huge power increase I'm going to have with my new engine.

I haven't had ANY wet condition problems with the Toyo Proxes TQ drag radials that have been on my car around 4 years now. I wouldn't think about wet surface driving with so called "cheater slicks" or any other "DOT" approved drag tire that has little or minimal tread voids.
The Nitto 555R drag radials looked like they should be OK in the rain or on wet surfaces, but I learned an indelible lesson that they were NOT, at least for me.
The reason why I'm looking for other options that have better track grip but are still viable on a wet/rained on surface is the huge power increase I'm going to have with my new engine.
Your response makes no sense......I want to get a better drag radial because i'm getting big power with my new engine but I want something that's good in the rain....LOL......I thought about trying to help and then realized it's pointless

Sometimes dreams come true. Take the Amphicar for example. You get an awesome car, AND, an awesome boat. All in one!
Surprised they quit making them.

Auto Transport Service
Back