• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

drag strip

pwDave

Local time
10:07 AM
Reaction score
loaded up my old car and went to the drag strip for the first time in 30 yrs. boy, have things changed!! did manage to get three half assed runs under my belt. first run was decent, but high gear slipped the last 50 yards and went 7.14(1/8th) second run had a bad burn out and again slipped for the last 100 yds this time, third was a slightly better burn thru but slipped in third as soon as I shifted. 7.14, 7.23, 7.40, so went to watch the races awhile before loading. came back an hour later to a flat tire, on the back of course, it seems to have slipped the rim shearing the valve stem, now I figure a John Cope trans will cure the trans problem. what is the current tech on keeping the tires from slipping on the rim? glue?,screws? something else? 15" 31dia. hoosiers on a 12" centerline. I was running 9 lbs of air at the time and it seemed alright? more air maybe? the car is pulling to the right a little off the line, which cal-trac bar needs more pre load to bring it to straight? Dave

last trip down a track for me was 1982 LOL, Those times are pretty good for a slipping trans. :thumbsup: Back when we always screwed the tires to the wheels but who knows what todays tech has came up with. Cant help you with the cal tracks but thumbs up man. Glad you went back.

Repost in the racer forum, you will get lots more help.
Latest tech is glue on the tires/rims, cause drag radials, current tech, really prohibits screws.

Auto Transport Service
Back