• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Drill press

steve from staten island

Local time
10:23 AM
Reaction score
My favorite forum at the FBBO
I work part time for a trucking outfit
I needed a drill press and I found this walker turner bench model in a scrap steel yard
Cost me fifty dollars
Told my boss he could reimburse me when I got it up and running
It needed a motor and was frozen solid
A can of penetrating oil and two hours later I had it free
The mechanic I work with thought I was nuts and the press belonged in the scrap pile
Boss had his doubts as well
I explained that press was gold and that it was pre WW 2
A time when we made quality
I asked them if they thought the HF press would still be drill holes seventy years later
Works like a charm
2EDF8C31-CB4D-425A-B751-7E390192888E.jpeg

A tank like that for $50? I'D say you got yourself a deal! Good on ya! Like to see quality tools put back in service.

It will probably outlast all of us and still drill straight holes...

Quite the score. With that kind of luck you had better get a lottery ticket for tonight.

Who tosses this stuff out? Craziness

great save!

I have one of them also. We could breed them and grow some more.

After hurricane Sandy a truck repair shop I was working at had a roll off container full of everything ruined by the storm. I spot'ed a Atlas similar in size to this one and a dumpster diving I went. Since it was being thrown out I talked my foreman into looking the other way as I made the press disappear.
I cleaned it and oiled it and have that one in my garage
Like the Atlas lathe in the other thread, the way machinery was made way back is just something to really marvel at. At the maintenance shop were I worked we have lathes, drills presses, a boring machine as well as milling machines all WW 2 vintage. All still being used.
I had a late thirties South Bend lathe that I bought as a basket case got it together but I sold it. Im looking for another

I was the operator of this Asquith radial arm on the railroad. It had a 1942 build date, two 600 volt motors on it (one for the drive and one for raising the arm). I had lockers full of every type of drill bit up to 2 5/8 inches. (That locker on the right is 78" tall). Anything larger was opened up with a bar and cutter.
upload_2021-3-30_21-14-19.png

upload_2021-3-30_21-15-32.png

In my city (Lethbridge, Alberta) we have an iron foundry that has been here since 1898. It is still a family-owned business. When my son was in cubs scouts about 25 years ago one of the cub's fathers worked there. He was able to allow us dads into the place to build some soap box derby cars for the boys in a portion of one of the shops. Some welding was required on the cars we could build, so that's where I came in. In there I saw a 50 ton press that was made in 1900. It is still in there to this day, operational, and used every day. Some stuff does last if cared for, and made domestically. Like looking at an operating museum these days.

Auto Transport Service
Back