• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Drinking more because of high fuel prices?

Cranky

Banned Henchman #27
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:50 AM
Reaction score
Geez....about all I can afford to do now is go to doctor appointments, grocery store, and the liquor store. I cut my drinking way down from what I used to drink but seems it's slowly climbing again :( Anyways, did go to a company retiree's meeting today and caught up on my dues. Supposed to be up to date to go to any of the 4 quarterly BBQ dinners they have and haven't been to a meeting since the Covid crap started but now I'm venturing out more. They also canceled meetings and the dinners during Covid. There were a lot of people there today and a lot more than I've even seen in previous meetings but so far the count is still low for the BBQ this Saturday. Tomorrow is the final day to get on the role for it.....and the BBQ is always dang good. But geez, it costs me 10 bucks in gas just to go there! Had to go to my CPA too and he's just down the road from there so got two birds with one stone.

Yeah, this situation definitely sucks. With that and rising rates, belts are tightening everywhere. I stopped drinking about a month ago. I haven't quit, just taking a break, as mine was climbing also.

Last edited:
No, but I'm working OT again.

Geez....about all I can afford to do now is go to doctor appointments, grocery store, and the liquor store. I cut my drinking way down from what I used to drink but seems it's slowly climbing again :( Anyways, did go to a company retiree's meeting today and caught up on my dues. Supposed to be up to date to go to any of the 4 quarterly BBQ dinners they have and haven't been to a meeting since the Covid crap started but now I'm venturing out more. They also canceled meetings and the dinners during Covid. There were a lot of people there today and a lot more than I've even seen in previous meetings but so far the count is still low for the BBQ this Saturday. Tomorrow is the final day to get on the role for it.....and the BBQ is always dang good. But geez, it costs me 10 bucks in gas just to go there! Had to go to my CPA too and he's just down the road from there so got two birds with one stone.
I’m in a lengthy recovery from CTS surgery, next paw is to be done next week. It SUCKS not being able to do much of anything. Wife has to open jars for me and sometimes two hands to open a friggin door knob. Got some oxy the pain was so bad sleeping 3 hours a night. Well, there’s a spinal deal too below an old fusion to be fixed at some point. I use a bottle opener for twist-off beer caps. And…ahh…using it a tad more now; though less than what I used to drink. Took my old ride for a drive today out in the country – great therapy – but before I opened my first beer. Tried to block my view of the price of premium gas…ya know don’t want to get into a state of depression..

I've also avoided looking at my retirement funds...ya know, don't want to get into a depressed state. My broker wanted to have a meeting. I said why; you got something to make me some money...or...are you going to tell me to stay the course? Yep, it was the latter = NO meeting.

I've also avoided looking at my retirement funds...ya know, don't want to get into a depressed state. My broker wanted to have a meeting. I said why; you got something to make me some money...or...are you going to tell me to stay the course? Yep, it was the latter = NO meeting.
My late wife lost about all of hers in 2007

beer is cheaper.jpg

Yeah, that's what most 'brokers' and money 'advisers' say. But, might not be a bad time to start buying a little? After all, we're in a bear market right now. I've always done my own investing and decisions and always did better than the ones that had someone else (professionals?) 'manage' their funds. I look at it as who would I let drive my cars? Nobody so why would I let someone 'drive' my money. Yup, it takes time and work but the one thing I didn't consider was a divorce. I now tell everyone I know to not discount that happening because you just never know what the 'better' half is thinking.
My late wife lost about all of hers in 2007
Oh man, I remember those years. I retired in 06 and made 100k in the stock market in a years time after that and then bam....hello. Things went to hell in a hand basket. Around that same time I learned how to trade options because of the crap crashing and it was mainly covered calls on the stuff I already owned that was down. It turned out to be pretty good. It kept my account half way reasonable.

Hey guys c’mon out to commie ca and you’ll pay $7.00 a gallon for petrol. My wife filled up the sedan the other day for $100 - and that was up in Little Saigon where everything is less expensive including petrol. About 70 cents a gallon cheaper but still way past $6.00. This is rape and pillage country. My understanding is the next insult will be tax on the polluted air you breath. Stay away - When the housing market crashes and there are opportunities in a couple of places I’d like to move to I’m gone. I could go now because my place is so over priced and selling as soon as they hit the market - but I’ve been unable to settle on where and severAl of the areas of interest are building garbage and demanding terms that are beyond ridiculous. Example $2,3,400,000k for lot premiums on nothing lots. That above the ridiculous cost of the garbage buIld. Sure my place will drop to but not as much as these gold strike towns where homes are built and bought with no supporting economy. I’m probably aimed at far South Denver. The tax and economics work for me there and I still have a few friends from when I lived there before. All I can say boys is - Remember this November and pray enough people have come to their senses and we can begin to recapture what has been lost.

"Drinking more because of high fuel prices?"​

Funny topic. :thumbsup:

I rarely drink. I'm obnoxious enough the way that I am.
I don't use drugs either....except for caffeine and prescribed medication when the need arises.
Someone famous said that he felt sorry for people that don't drink....because when they wake up, that is the best that they are going to feel all day.
I enjoy being drunk but I just don't do it that often. I'm impatient though. When I drink, I want to be drunk immediately. This leads to drinking PAST the point of getting a good buzz and into the I made a terrible mistake situation. Not good.
Here is something to chew on....
These gas prices are terrible but it has not changed my behavior one bit. I drive fast. I drive V8 cars and trucks. I'm rebuilding a 495 cubic inch engine for my Charger. I buy what I want and need to buy. I don't like paying more but **** it....being from California, I'm used to paying too much anyway.
I'm sure that if public consumption dropped off a cliff, the prices would fall.
So far, I can't bring myself to drive a tiny car or to stop living my life. I will never commit to an electric lifestyle while gas is still available.

I just take calming meds, and watch the three stooges, only the episodes featuring Curly. Tell me, who is your family decomposed of? Hell no, no tiny cars for me. It's not too bad in Florida. V8 powered cars only, but ma mopar is killing them. 6 banger turbos yay!!! FFS. I still have my 2011 Dodge Charger RT ( yes, I know 4 door cars are not muscle cars, but the go pedal works pretty good)

Last edited:
Not exactly on topic, but I once had a prescription for beer. It was about 40 years ago but I was in the hospital trying to pass a kidney stone & they were giving fruit juices that did nothing but give me diarrhea. My *** was actually bleeding. The doctor came to check on me & I related wat was transpiring. He asked what I would prefer and I told him beer. He took out his prescription pad & although he used the back so it wasn't an official RX, ordered 2 six packs and gave it to the nurse station & they in turn sent it to the dietary dept. who sent an employee out to the liquor store up the street. Every one who visited brought a different variety and I really don't remember passing the stone being pretty much sh_t faced , but it is etched in my memory as a unique experience. Here's to you all!
:drinks:

Not exactly on topic, but I once had a prescription for beer. It was about 40 years ago but I was in the hospital trying to pass a kidney stone & they were giving fruit juices that did nothing but give me diarrhea. My *** was actually bleeding. The doctor came to check on me & I related wat was transpiring. He asked what I would prefer and I told him beer. He took out his prescription pad & although he used the back so it wasn't an official RX, ordered 2 six packs and gave it to the nurse station & they in turn sent it to the dietary dept. who sent an employee out to the liquor store up the street. Every one who visited brought a different variety and I really don't remember passing the stone being pretty much sh_t faced , but it is etched in my memory as a unique experience. Here's to you all!
:drinks:
Now that’s a great story. Aahhh those were the days….

Hey guys c’mon out to commie ca and you’ll pay $7.00 a gallon for petrol. My wife filled up the sedan the other day for $100 - and that was up in Little Saigon where everything is less expensive including petrol. About 70 cents a gallon cheaper but still way past $6.00. This is rape and pillage country. My understanding is the next insult will be tax on the polluted air you breath. Stay away - When the housing market crashes and there are opportunities in a couple of places I’d like to move to I’m gone. I could go now because my place is so over priced and selling as soon as they hit the market - but I’ve been unable to settle on where and severAl of the areas of interest are building garbage and demanding terms that are beyond ridiculous. Example $2,3,400,000k for lot premiums on nothing lots. That above the ridiculous cost of the garbage buIld. Sure my place will drop to but not as much as these gold strike towns where homes are built and bought with no supporting economy. I’m probably aimed at far South Denver. The tax and economics work for me there and I still have a few friends from when I lived there before. All I can say boys is - Remember this November and pray enough people have come to their senses and we can begin to recapture what has been lost.
I know. If I'm going to be robbed at least they could pull a gun on me.

Auto Transport Service
Back