• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Drive by Wire and kick down linkage

dickdale

Local time
11:35 AM
Reaction score
I have a 2013 6.4 Hemi SRT8 and an a518 46RH TF which i would like to use for a swap in my 70's Plymouth Satellite.

Is there a way to use the Drive by wire and how is it possible to make the kick down linkage work?

I have a 2013 6.4 Hemi SRT8 and an a518 46RH TF which i would like to use for a swap in my 70's Plymouth Satellite.

Is there a way to use the Drive by wire and how is it possible to make the kick down linkage work?

So I'm pretty much running same combination, Just not quite done yet. I used part of the old pedal assy using a lokar kiskdown cable and fabricated up a bracket to mount new pedal(see Pic)
It seems to work quite well. Also Bouchillon performance came up with a kit based on the 02-03 ram pedal you can check with them.. Good luck with yours!!

pedal.jpg

Awesome solution. Haven't thought about this construction.

The Bouchillon performance solution will cost 600 dollars and is way more then I want to pay for it.

Which engine/trans combo are you using? And when are you able to test it?

Awesome solution. Haven't thought about this construction.

The Bouchillon performance solution will cost 600 dollars and is way more then I want to pay for it.

Which engine/trans combo are you using? And when are you able to test it?

I have a 2012 6.4 with a A518 trans, also using the mopar 392 computer/wiring kit they came out with, just did the first test start this past weekend, it'll be a couple of weeks still before it's drivable.

are you using the engine harness that came with the engine? Or are you using the Mopar harness kit?

are you using the engine harness that came with the engine? Or are you using the Mopar harness kit?

the kit mopar came out with ,comes with PCM and harness. Modifications had to be made to harness... it is not as they claim.. "plug and play" It's a factory harness they modify for the hotrodders to use but they kept the starter wiring on the right side where as most of us guys are using a older trans which has the starter on the left side, plus other small changes.

But other then these small wiring changes, it is a good harness to use?

But other then these small wiring changes, it is a good harness to use?

I like it... all leads are clearly marked, it is a modified factory harness so everything fits the way it is supposed to and connectors have the lock tabs, only caveat is it's set up for a 2015 or newer motor which has different throttle body then the earlier motors, wasn't an issue for me as I was going with bigger TB to begin with.
I untaped part of the harness to reroute starter wires and was able to gain more length to the PCM wiring which I then mounted it and the PDC inside behind/under the glove box.

Mech440, did you do anything to upgrade your A518? Or can it handle the power the SRT produces?

Mech440, did you do anything to upgrade your A518? Or can it handle the power the SRT produces?
Yes, I had my trans guy rebuild it and he put a lot of nice looking billet parts in it..lol. The A518 is basically a 727 with a built in overdrive unit, I'm not the best at rebuilding an automatic so I let it to the guy that knows. But he claims it should be good up to 700HP or so. I've put it through it's paces(beat on it) and I've had no issues.

the kit mopar came out with ,comes with PCM and harness. Modifications had to be made to harness... it is not as they claim.. "plug and play" It's a factory harness they modify for the hotrodders to use but they kept the starter wiring on the right side where as most of us guys are using a older trans which has the starter on the left side, plus other small changes.
Mech440 - did you change the tone/reluctor ring and sensor to 2013 or later as well? And did you re-balance the crank with the new ring? Some say you need to some say you don't?

Mech440 - did you change the tone/reluctor ring and sensor to 2013 or later as well? And did you re-balance the crank with the new ring? Some say you need to some say you don't?

Yes.. I changed the tone ring... No I did not rebalance crank. I read the same thing you have some say yes.. some say no... I did not and can say I've had no ill effects and while I don't have a calibrated butt as some have said you would need, I've felt no crazy vibration at any RPM. And yes I've revved it quite a bit this past year...LOL

yep I did change the sensor... I ordered the tone ring and sensor for the 2014 motor...As for as difference in size? I believe the difference was in tooth count not actual "size", See attached pic of tone rings... Hope this helps.

20170318_200017.jpg

BTW... Yes you have to pull the crank out to change the tone ring.

BTW... Yes you have to pull the crank out to change the tone ring.
Thanks Mech440, I have engine apart now so it is an easy swap. The info is great, I feel pretty confident about using the Mopar stand-alone kit now, I will swap the TB when I get there. Cheers!

And back on topic!

DIYHEMI has found another way for an functional kick down option in combination with Drive by wire. You will be using the original gas pedal, a Lokar cable and a unit from a 2003/2004 Ram (can't recall the name of it).

Should be a bell crank setup that works with kick down and drive by wire

Auto Transport Service
Back