• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Drive By Wire problems

Mark Draheim

Local time
12:01 PM
Reaction score
My install, a 2005 5.7 truck engine auto trans combo in a 63 Plymouth Belvedere, I purchased the wire harness from Chris at Hotwire Auto and they did the program/flash of my computer. I am using Lokars billet drive by wire throttle pedal with the adapter pigtail from Chris also. Have installed a push button for starting. when we fired it up the first time everything worked like a new car in that the accelerator pedal worked as it should.
Now after moving and trailering the car to another state the DBW will only rev the engine once on initial startup and then nothing. The battery has been disconected and reinstalled a couple of times. Per Chris I checked to see if the engine was turned of and restarted would the DBW function and it will, once, then no response again.
Chris has suggested an ETC relearn with a good ($$$$) scan tool.
I talked to Lokar tech support and they said I could send them my DBW throttle assembly and the would test it for me.
Another suggestion was the original throttle body may be bad.
Has anybody had similar issues in the past?
Does anybody here have any suggestions on how I should proceed?
Any help will be appreciated.

I would start with a code scan and looking at pertinent data with a good scan tool.

Connect an obd scanner and look at the code. Perhaps it can be solved with a reset.

My OBD scanner showed the following codes:

P0480 Fan 1 Control Circuit
P0499 Evaporative Emission System Valve Control Circuit High
P0073 Ambient Air Temp Sensor Circuit High
P0463 Fuel Level Sensor A Circuit High
P0038 HO2S Heater Control Circuit High Bank 1 Sensor 2
P0058 HO2S Heater Control Circuit High Bank 2 Sensor 2

Sent this information to Chris at Hotwire Auto and he said these code would not have anything to do with the DBW.

Clearing the codes has not changed the lack of response from the accelerator after the first rev up.

Ask sykedecutuning.com. They know what it is.

I'm not sure what your problem stems from but it is definitely going into limp mode because of something the computer does not like. Something on start-up is causing it. I know when I first installed the 6.1 in my 68 Charger, I tried using the stock ignition switch by tying Ignition 1 & 2 together. The computer sensed a break in the circuit going from start to run and the engine would flutter, miss and go into the limp mode and not able to rev up. Once I installed the push button start, that problem went away. However since it has been a few years since my install, I have noticed that if the battery gets a little low like after sitting for a long period it will hesitate to start and will go into the limp mode again where it will not rev. I'm with Chris that the drive by wire is not the problem, It is something the computer don't like. Maybe one of those codes won't clear and is what causes the problem. Are you getting any of those codes back right away? I suspect the computer itself could be causing issues. I know mine had issues with overcharging by regulating the voltage to +16 volts. It ended up being a battery temperature code in the computer that should have been disabled when it was re-configured from the factory 2005 truck to work with my system. There are still codes that show up when I scan mine but they don't cause problems. The ones you are getting sound familiar to the codes that still show up in mine. I just checked mine. The only code I have is the P0480 Fan control circuit 1. Have never been able to get rid of it since it is a hard code and is a circuit that is configured from the factory. I assume it is another circuit that should have been disabled during the reflash but being computer illiterate, I guess I have no clue.

Last edited:
I'm starting to think you have a bad connection somewhere. Code P0038 & P0058 have to do with both O2 sensors. If you are getting both of those codes then something is wrong. You do have them installed and hooked up correct? Not sure if they could cause the limp mode but guess it's possible. These systems demand good grounds and good connections so it certainly could be an issue.

I'm starting to think you have a bad connection somewhere. Code P0038 & P0058 have to do with both O2 sensors. If you are getting both of those codes then something is wrong. You do have them installed and hooked up correct? Not sure if they could cause the limp mode but guess it's possible. These systems demand good grounds and good connections so it certainly could be an issue.
I also had Chris reflash my pcm from auto to manual and my throttle body worked great for a short time. My code reader never showed a throttle body code. I bought a new mopar throttle body and the same day the my new scanner came and I did have a throttle body code. New throttle body works good now. Mines a 2004 5.7 with original pcm. Mine did go into limp with old throttle body. They have a stepper motor which goes clockwise and counter clockwise to move the throttle blade and I guess like any other dc motor they get bad spots in the winding's and fail to operate correct.

So.............No more limp mode and everything working as it should?

No more limp mode. I drove the sh.. out of it this afternoon. No 0507 code over idle, it works. I had a code reader only and I bought a scan tool and before I installed the new throttle body I tried out new scan tool and I did have a throttle body code as well as throttle body limited operation rpm to 2000. I was surprised those code were there as I thought my code reader would have showed those. I wished I had a chrysler DRB scan tool, or a friend who has access to one.

No more limp mode. I drove the sh.. out of it this afternoon. No 0507 code over idle, it works. I had a code reader only and I bought a scan tool and before I installed the new throttle body I tried out new scan tool and I did have a throttle body code as well as throttle body limited operation rpm to 2000. I was surprised those code were there as I thought my code reader would have showed those. I wished I had a chrysler DRB scan tool, or a friend who has access to one.

What scan tool are you using?

Jus so I am clear, are you saying that the Launch X431 is a good one or one you recommend?

Auto Transport Service
Back