• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Driver's side Remote Mirror difficulties (with reproduction)

Maxrat

Local time
11:36 PM
Reaction score
Years ago I bought a reproduction Driver's side remote mirror for my 66 Charger. Recently, I took the old one out and started noticing major differences. 1. The original interior bezel has a larger diameter than the reproduction. 2. The knob on the original is short and stubby while the reproduction is long and narrow. Note: I can't find any reproductions that look like the originals. Next problem is the installation of the reproduction. It appears that the originals you could take the remote knob apart to get it out of the door panel (pull the cables through the small hole on outside under mirror. The reproduction doesn't look like you can take it apart and you'd have to drill a large diameter hole in the outside door panel under the mirror to get it in. Is that true? If so, does anyone have a diagram or measurements? Ideas?

Thanks for the heads up.
I've got several A bodies with remotes to compare the Charger model too.
I'll do so and report back as necessary.
Aren't the reproductions sold as a "one size fits all"?

The reproduction remote mirror knob is on the left -- the original 66 Charger is on the right. The thread diameter on repro bezel is smaller than the original. The biggest problem -- look at the three holes in the door panel. The right hole is for a mounting screw, the center hole is for the stud that goes through the door (a nut is affixed to the other side), and the hole to the left is for the original cable to pass through. The original remote handle could be disassembled which allows you to pass the cable through. It doesn't look like the repro can be disassembled. I hate to drill a large diameter hole behind the center hole to allow the repro knob to pass though. Any experience on this or ideas?

001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG

Had to deal with this a couple of times. Get an original. There is plenty of them out there if you are patient and look around.

Can you transplant your OEM cables and actuator to the shiny new mirror and housing?

Your reproduction on the left is made like my 67 and every A body I've ever seen.
The skinny stem is broken on my 67, the mirror chrome is bad.
So I'll be replacing it as well.
I'm guessing a change was made after 66 to standardize and ease production across lines?
I've never seen the one on the right.
It may be "bigger hole" time for you.
Do you need a picture of a later door?

Your reproduction on the left is made like my 67 and every A body I've ever seen.
The skinny stem is broken on my 67, the mirror chrome is bad.
So I'll be replacing it as well.
I'm guessing a change was made after 66 to standardize and ease production across lines?
I've never seen the one on the right.
It may be "bigger hole" time for you.
Do you need a picture of a later door?
Yes, that would be great!

Can you transplant your OEM cables and actuator to the shiny new mirror and housing?
That would be great --- but I can't see how the new actuator can be disassembled and how to modify the tips of the cables to fit the old actuator.

Junk yard later A body pull and the original 67 missing the little stem.
Of course, bezels are different.
I'm surprised the 66 was different.
Maybe I should not be.

20180221_095614[1].jpg
20180221_095749[1].jpg
20180221_095641[1].jpg

Cursory looks have revealed no threads in mine.
Though I had considered that a possibility
I shall confirm. .

Last edited:
That center hole is either 3/4 or 7/8 where the mirror mounts and it needs to be there. I used an original "clip" that holds the adjuster inside the door face and a rechromed bezel and then the inside two mount holes can be correct. I ordered the two knockout punches on EBay for about $10 each for mine and one size fits the inside and the other fits the outside. This is on a 69 and I believe they are the same.

No threads visible.
The stem must have been pressed in at one time.

This is another case where they don't make a 66 Charger reproduction -- probably Cornets too.

Auto Transport Service
Back