• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Driveshaft help

BeepBeepRR

Local time
4:16 PM
Reaction score
I was changing the 3.91 gears to a 3.23 and decided to change the ujoints while I had it apart.
Went to the local napa and could not get the right u-joints. So I have to ask you guys if you know or recognize what this drive shaft may have come out of. I'm pretty sure its from an older model car.

Spicer driveshaft I can get the numbers off of it.
Spicer 621 on one of the old u-joints
Spicer 269 I think on the other. One is inner clipped into place and the other has the outer clips to hold it in. I believe thats on the front u-joint

IMG_0179.JPG IMG_0180.JPG IMG_0181.JPG

I remember pulling the driveshafts with the inertia wheels out of 69 b-bodies but never could make a rule out of when they were used. Some were in A/T and some were in M/T, but mostly untouched cars scrapped in the 70's. I thought they may have been a retrofit for a vibration issue. The last one I removed came out of a 69 GTX 440 18 spline 4 speed with a Dana and it had one. Bought it with a blown engine in 1980 for $600. You will love this. We stripped it and cut it in half for scrap because it had a lousy brown custom paint job. Still have the title.

Very familiar with that driveshaft....Came on cars mainly in 68 and some 69. Same driveshaft as my GTX....The "Inertia" ring driveshaft came in mainly manuals and some auto's PN 2883560

Uses TWO of the big U Joint 7290....

Did yours have the originals with the straps by chance? Don't focus on the part number because those are NOS U joints......but thats how they fit.

DSC03934.JPG
DSC03935.JPG
DSC03936.JPG

Last edited:
Is the yoke and inertia ring outside clips? Is the rear u-joint outside clipped? Measure the size of the holes. 1.0625 dia of the hole with outside clips is a 1330 u-joint. A hole dia of 1.125 with inside clips is a 7290 u-joint. about 3.625" wide I believe both are. They make many combination u-joint. Some close up pictures of the holes if this doesn't help with measurements.

I would assume they were the original ujoints. They were both spicer The rear u-joint was smaller the front one is much larger cap to cap. The slip yoke end used external spring clips the rear one used the inner c clips. But the one you have posted above uses the inner c-clips. An Oreilly 315G fit the rear But the front one had 2 numbers. Spicer 621 on the caps and a 279 in the center cross. And has no grease zerk. And like I said before the clips are outer clips. I will take better pictures of the slip yoke end.

Sorry I just noticed you said the one with the outside clips was a 1330

IMG_0185.JPG IMG_0186.JPG IMG_0187.JPG IMG_0188.JPG IMG_0189.JPG IMG_0190.JPG IMG_0191.JPG IMG_0192.JPG

Last edited:
Go to NAPA website. This is the 1330 u-joint 1.06 cups outside clips NPJ P354. Typed in 1966 Charger as my car. That weld on rear axle side of shaft looks like somebody changed it? There is another NPJ P270 is severe duty u joint but it doesn't list cup size. I'd do an in store visit for spec's. Measure the hole size it tells all. Doubt they're 1350 u joint factory IMHO didn't use them. Post how you make out.

I think you might be one to something about the rear end of the drive shaft. It does look like the weld is less than perfect. The original ujoint dimensions are as follows.
cheapo harbor freight caliper.
A. 3 5/8 or 3.6 230
B. 3 5/8 or 3.6 230
C. 1 1/16 or 1.0 630
D. 1 1/16 or 1.0 630

U-Joint-Drawing--1b[1].jpg

Last edited:
I would assume they were the original ujoints. They were both spicer The rear u-joint was smaller the front one is much larger cap to cap. The slip yoke end used external spring clips the rear one used the inner c clips. But the one you have posted above uses the inner c-clips. An Oreilly 315G fit the rear But the front one had 2 numbers. Spicer 621 on the caps and a 279 in the center cross. And has no grease zerk. And like I said before the clips are outer clips. I will take better pictures of the slip yoke end.

Sorry I just noticed you said the one with the outside clips was a 1330

View attachment 425617 View attachment 425618 View attachment 425619 View attachment 425620 View attachment 425621 View attachment 425622 View attachment 425623 View attachment 425624
Those are not original u joints...

Whats the casting number on the rear?

Those are not original u joints...

Whats the casting number on the rear?

1330 u-joints are 66 and I think 67. In 68 they switched to 7290's. My 66 has 1330's and I have a 68 GTX driveshaft with 7290's. 67 not sure about.
Don't think factory put two different u-joint on car driveshafts.

Looks like somebody put a 7260 end on driveshaft for rear axle.

I think you might be one to something about the rear end of the drive shaft. It does look like the weld is less than perfect. The original ujoint dimensions are as follows.
cheapo harbor freight caliper.
A. 3 5/8 or 3.6 230
B. 3 5/8 or 3.6 230
C. 1 1/16 or 1.0 630
D. 1 1/16 or 1.0 630

View attachment 425636
1330 u-joint.

I looked at the rear of the drive shaft a bit closer and i believe it did have the end welded on. I think I have that sorted out with the 315 Ujoint. But I did some looking and The closest ujoint I found that you posted was a 1330 without having it in my grubby paws I cant be sure. I will go to the local napa and see if I can figger it out. Also that 1350 is the same as the 1330 but with a grease zerk.

http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/p45...universal_joint_1330_series_with_4_1.062.html

All I can say is if it weren't for guys like you, people like me would still be buying countless damn ujoints.. I really appreciate the help.

I have 2 thoughts..
If the drive shaft was correct it would have been for a Dana? If thats the case they took the Dana out and made the driveshaft fit an 8 3/4.

Or they just needed a driveshaft and made it fit.

Last edited:
I looked at the rear of the drive shaft a bit closer and i believe it did have the end welded on. I think I have that sorted out with the 315 Ujoint. But I did some looking and The closest ujoint I found that you posted was a 1330 without having it in my grubby paws I cant be sure. I will go to the local napa and see if I can figger it out. Also that 1350 is the same as the 1330 but with a grease zerk.

http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/p45...universal_joint_1330_series_with_4_1.062.html

All I can say is if it weren't for guys like you, people like me would still be buying countless damn ujoints.. I really appreciate the help.
Even with the odd cap on the rear it still is a good driveshaft.....U joints can be a pain to figure out sometimes....As you found out measurements do not lie....

Btw the first pics I saw was via my phone which when zoomed in I couldn't see the ridge for the outer clips.....

1330 u-joints are 66 and I think 67. In 68 they switched to 7290's. My 66 has 1330's and I have a 68 GTX driveshaft with 7290's. 67 not sure about.
Don't think factory put two different u-joint on car driveshafts.
Nope, the factory never put mix match U joints on.....

Did your 68 have the original joints with the straps? I am searching for the clips and straps....

The 68 shaft had 7290 inside clips. I made a combo joint around 1985 bought a 1330 and a 7290. Put 7290 in shaft and put 1330 cups on it, bingo.
Somebody cut the end on the shaft what a waste of a bb driveshaft. Wonder about the balance?

The 68 shaft had 7290 inside clips. I made a combo joint around 1985 bought a 1330 and a 7290. Put 7290 in shaft and put 1330 cups on it, bingo.
Somebody cut the end on the shaft what a waste of a bb driveshaft. Wonder about the balance?
I know what the 68/69 has...What I asked was did your have the original u joints on it when you got it....All original had two straps with the strap clips

Oh. Yes the front joint it's original. Came out of a local car after it wacked a Caddy at 80 mph. Going to a fire, volunteer fireman.

I think I get what you mean strap and chips. It's a strip of metal 1/8" wide with a 1/4" long clip. The strap went through the clip and clip was crimped to hold it. Can't remember how or where they went on u-joint. They always were cut off when replacing the joint. Went to garage to see if any were on either shaft. nada gone. Original front joint still on there, almost positive. Were they only on rear u-joint and was it to hold the cups on?

Auto Transport Service
Back