• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Driving from Texas to California.... I-10? or I-40/Route66???

1 Wild R/T

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:26 AM
Reaction score
Looks like I'm gonna be driving from Austin Tx to California in Mid September... I've always driven I-10 in the past but considering trying I-40 just to change things up... Any opinions from those that have driven both. Looks like a little higher elevations, little over 7,000 ft..

I'll be driving an old car that hasn't run in eight years, shouldn't be an issue, I plan to put a kit in the carb & flush the fuel system before starting the trip... Twenty years ago I basically restored the whole car & since driving out to Texas it's mostly been a garage queen... When the battery died eight years ago that was the last time the car moved..

I-10 is washed out from a flash flood by Desert Center.
East bound... I'll be going west... Plus hopefully in three plus weeks they'll have that back in operation... As long as nothing else goes wrong... But it certainly pushes the I-40 vote...

Route 66.
A more scenic and historic route.
I-10/I-40 is 80 mph zig-zagging
between semi's.
Take your time, enjoy the trip.
Stop and read every historical marker
you come across. Maybe take a pic
of each to inhance your experience.
You'll not regret taking the low road.
I drove many years I-10 from Houston
to Ft. Stockton, turning north on 285.
Not much to see, and the distance
just makes you feel the trip was done.
Like a line from an Eagles' classic.
"Don't let the sound of your own wheels
drive you crazy".

Last edited:
The 40/Rt66 make more sense in that you’ll roll into Barstow, hit the CA58 and go west. End up hitting the 99 and the shoot north. You’ll end you bypassing LA traffic as well as some steep grade which will be easier on the car.

If you decide on the 10, when you hit the Phoenix area give me a shout, we can meet for lunch.

Missed that one on the news.....but here lately I don't go anywhere much. Haven't been much passed Kerrville on I-10 and even that's been awhile but I-10 looks like it gets more and more crappy the further west you go.

Getting (or having) AAA is good advice.
There's not much on 40 between Needless and Barstow. (Yes, I know, it's needles), I travel that chunk a lot.
I managed to lock myself out of my truck in Ludlow (bumped the electric door lock by accident as I got out) and they had to come 50+ miles from Barstow to bail me out. Needles was farther away, and those were the only choices.
East bound from socal, I travel from 2am to 6am, west hound I try to arrive going thru Barstow/Apple Valley/Victorville between breakfast and lunch...and never on Friday.

Well.

Im 10 minutes off I.10 near Vail Az.

If you decide to go that route.

Looks like I'm gonna be driving from Austin Tx to California in Mid September... I've always driven I-10 in the past but considering trying I-40 just to change things up... Any opinions from those that have driven both. Looks like a little higher elevations, little over 7,000 ft..

I'll be driving an old car that hasn't run in eight years, shouldn't be an issue, I plan to put a kit in the carb & flush the fuel system before starting the trip... Twenty years ago I basically restored the whole car & since driving out to Texas it's mostly been a garage queen... When the battery died eight years ago that was the last time the car moved..
Yes, the uphill climb. September is 50/50 for high desert temps.

Having traversed both routes, I prefer I 40/66. Better offerings for food and lodging along with some great scenery. I 10 is just too damn close to the border and its current influx of illegals, I would avoid it like the plague!!! JMHO is all... cr8crshr/Bill:usflag::usflag::usflag:

Just a footnote: Since you’re going to have escaped the CA state border to America as it were - keep going and don’t stop til you find your new home in the “new world” - Sell what you have from there and stay and enjoy freedom…….

Getting (or having) AAA is good advice.
There's not much on 40 between Needless and Barstow. (Yes, I know, it's needles), I travel that chunk a lot.
I managed to lock myself out of my truck in Ludlow (bumped the electric door lock by accident as I got out) and they had to come 50+ miles from Barstow to bail me out. Needles was farther away, and those were the only choices.
East bound from socal, I travel from 2am to 6am, west hound I try to arrive going thru Barstow/Apple Valley/Victorville between breakfast and lunch...and never on Friday.
Needless lol. There's a town here in Texas that's about 80 miles away that I call Needyville. Drop the 'y' and there's the name. A good buddy that runs NSS lives there. His car is a 4 speed with a Jerico box and that thing sounds like an automatic when he shifts it....and he uses the clutch because the trans will last longer doing that.

Needless lol. There's a town here in Texas that's about 80 miles away that I call Needyville. Drop the 'y' and there's the name. A good buddy that runs NSS lives there. His car is a 4 speed with a Jerico box and that thing sounds like an automatic when he shifts it....and he uses the clutch because the trans will last longer doing that.
I forgot. If you do come out 40, DO NOT buy gas in needles, just across the border into Cali. Go north from 40 on Arizona 95, about a mile or two (NOT the first AZ station) and you'll save about $1.50-$2 a gallon off Cali prices. Fill up all you can as close to, but NOT in, california.

Last edited:
In our wandering we have been on those highways. We had lots of time, so drove a lot of State Highways. Saw so much more and it was relaxing. Tried to take 66 along 40 whenever possible. enjoyed it more than 10. We also wandered along the bottom through Green Valley.
My vote is 66/40.

what is your end destination in California? Once in CA, if you can avoid Hwy 5 and Hwy 99 which parallels it and instead travel some of the less traveled highways (my vote is CA Hwy 33 and 25) you'll enjoy it so much more.

I do not enjoy driving across the Mojave and nearby desert areas from East to West due to depressing views and frequent high winds depending on time of year.

I forgot. If you do come out 40, DO NOT buy gas in needles, just across the border into Cali. Go north from 40 on Arizona 95, about a mile or two (NOT the first AZ station) and you'll save about $1.50-$2 a gallon off Cali prices. Fill up all you can as close to, but NOT in, california.
I made that mistake in March when passing thru.
Paid almost $7 per gallon. THAT put a dent in the gas card

what is your end destination in California? Once in CA, if you can avoid Hwy 5 and Hwy 99 which parallels it and instead travel some of the less traveled highways (my vote is CA Hwy 33 and 25) you'll enjoy it so much more.

I do not enjoy driving across the Mojave and nearby desert areas from East to West due to depressing views and frequent high winds depending on time of year.

33 & 25 both have interesting areas but I'll probably be all out of interest by the time I get done with 58.. I'll be coming up 99 to Modesto...

Trust me, I'll have a full tank before entering California...

I've had AAA for thirty five plus years... Plus I might know enough to keep it running... Though I hope to do enough preparation to not need any on the road repairs...

It's looking like a friend is probably gonna join me & Route 66 is his preference too...

Now as long as the weather doesn't do anything stupid.... I don't need a sand storm or a flash flood.. Not looking for any tornados either.... I'm thinking mid September is probably safe... But you never really know...

Auto Transport Service
Back