• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Driving from Texas to California.... I-10? or I-40/Route66???

Back in the day, did a cross-country from Cal eastbound on I-40/route 66... Barstow, Kingman, Flagstaff, Albuquerque, Amarillo.... in a 53 GMC pickup... if that could do it, whatever you got can do it. Beautiful trip !

My folks drug us kids back and forth from Missouri to California multiple times a year and then when I had a family I did the same. It would not be an overstatement to say I have been over 66 and now 40 dozens of times. Never been on I10 but like I think it was Crusher who mentioned it is too close to the border for comfort. Arizona has some decent mountains around Flagstaff but not real steep NM is typical interstate nothing out of the ordinary but yes get gas in Kingman, AZ your wallet will thank you. Also try to hit Needles early AM if possible I have been there in 118 degree heat I would suspect Sept will still be hot. The Hwy now bypasses Mohave so that helps make it a better shot but I do miss gawking at the planes. Once you hit Barstow you are home free now that they cleaned up that maze of roads trying to get on 58 from I40, Tehachapi mountains are not that steep westbound mostly downhill into Bakersfield then 99 takes you home. Pretty clean drive, there are even some cool tourist traps to stop at if you are so inclined to take a break. I think I could do it in my sleep and probably have! I remember back in '86 I left Springfield, Mo Friday evening headed back out to Calif and made it to just outside Kingman and could not stay awake any longer so I pulled of in a large gravel area along I40 and stretched out in the seat to catch a few zz's and when I woke up 2-3 hours later there were 10-12 tractors with trailers parked all around me idling and I never heard a one come in, lol.

My folks drug us kids back and forth from Missouri to California multiple times a year and then when I had a family I did the same. It would not be an overstatement to say I have been over 66 and now 40 dozens of times. Never been on I10 but like I think it was Crusher who mentioned it is too close to the border for comfort. Arizona has some decent mountains around Flagstaff but not real steep NM is typical interstate nothing out of the ordinary but yes get gas in Kingman, AZ your wallet will thank you. Also try to hit Needles early AM if possible I have been there in 118 degree heat I would suspect Sept will still be hot. The Hwy now bypasses Mohave so that helps make it a better shot but I do miss gawking at the planes. Once you hit Barstow you are home free now that they cleaned up that maze of roads trying to get on 58 from I40, Tehachapi mountains are not that steep westbound mostly downhill into Bakersfield then 99 takes you home. Pretty clean drive, there are even some cool tourist traps to stop at if you are so inclined to take a break. I think I could do it in my sleep and probably have! I remember back in '86 I left Springfield, Mo Friday evening headed back out to Calif and made it to just outside Kingman and could not stay awake any longer so I pulled of in a large gravel area along I40 and stretched out in the seat to catch a few zz's and when I woke up 2-3 hours later there were 10-12 tractors with trailers parked all around me idling and I never heard a one come in, lol.
On the issue of illegals you will more than likely encounter gotaways more on interstate 8 toward San Diego. I did a run in July to New Mexico along I-10 and there were several cars pulled over by the border patrol where the occupant bolted.

I have traveled both to California from here. If you have not traveled I-40 take it for a change if nothing else (different scenery). I prefer I-40 myself, more scenic I think, plus you can check out a lot of the old Route 66 attractions and drive on quite a bit of it if you like. Take your time and enjoy the trip, if you have the time to do so.

I thought everyone is leaving Ca. and not going toward there!??

Screen Shot 2022-08-30 at 5.39.29 PM.png

Needless lol. There's a town here in Texas that's about 80 miles away that I call Needyville. Drop the 'y' and there's the name. A good buddy that runs NSS lives there. His car is a 4 speed with a Jerico box and that thing sounds like an automatic when he shifts it....and he uses the clutch because the trans will last longer doing that.
Funny you bring this up because not too
far away is Welfare.....

We do the Route 66 Fun Run almost every year in AZ. Best stops on I40/66 in AZ, Williams, Seligman, Oatman, and Topock (Topock66 restaurant right on the river).

Auto Transport Service
Back