• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dropping engine temps

RonnieK

Local time
1:48 PM
Reaction score
What I got. 68 Charger. 383 with a Champion 26'' economy two row radiator. Electric fan. Finally just got her going and off jack stands.

My situation. She seems to flutter at 200-210 after initial drives. Maybe it's just the racer in me but I just hate heat over 200. I haven't even begun to push the car and worry it's not going to like it when I do if regular driving is reaching 210. It'll be a Street/Strip car that'll see extensive usage when it's 90+ degrees out.
I plan on drilling holes through the shroud to allow for more air flow and I do know ceramic coat on the headers would probably help some but that's about all I can think of. Should I be looking at a second fan for 26'' radiators? Hood scoop to vent more heat? I know this is a never-ending battle that we never really win but wanna exhaust all possiblities and tricks.

1663782263321.png

I honestly can't believe that setup doesn't get even hotter than 210....

Has the motor been broken in yet (assuming fresh build)? It'll run hotter for a while. Pro & con on electric fans with folks having their opinions - pro & con. This topic has been discussed a whole bunch on the forum. Suggest checking some of them - tons of helpful tips.

Lots of things go into the overall cooling performance but yeah...you need more fan and a better shroud. Look into a dual-fan/shroud setup if you're sticking with electrics, there are quite few options out there.

By the looks of that photo

It needs room between the shroud & radiator too
it looks like that shroud (flat) is right against the rad (or near)
no room for any airflow, in the area to the right of the fan
essentially only has 'any airflow' thru the radiator &
only at the point of the 1) 16" (size, I assume) round fan opening

you need more air movement everywhere, even with just the 1 fan

The shroud needs to be a lil' bit away from the core,
or at least tapered directing air away from it
& have some standoff
& have room for the air to move away from that part of the radiator

if that makes any sense

good luck

Last edited:
Agree, that's not a shroud it's a 65% block off plate.
I run the same fan, but none of the rest blocked off.
And those water wetters do work.

Good to note. I knew it needed tinkering but maybe far more than I originally thought. Thanks y'all. Will mess around with it more.

Agree that's not a shroud.
I would get rid of the plate and try some large zip ties to hold the fan on the radiator.
I think it will improve the situation.

There’s rubber flaps you can put on the fan shroud that will open as you’re moving and when really slow, they close so the fan pulls the air through the radiator.

Every time I see an overheating question, there's an electric fan involved. These cars ran fine with the stock setup for over 50 years. Then people re engineer it, and wonder why it doesn't work. Go back to a Mechanical fan, and a good shroud, not a giant block off plate that you have. If you stay with electric fans, you will need to upgrade your wiring.

Funny...cars today all have electric fans and stay cool.
Water wetter is useless with a properly functioning stat. If you need WW your cooling system isn't working properly.

Water wetter is useless with a properly functioning stat. If you need WW your cooling system isn't working properly.
Cars today are not the same. They are designed to run hotter for emissions. Transverse engines need an electric fan. If you look at new trucks, they have a Mechanical fan. But, we are all free to do what we want.

Probably be best to get the Lincoln 2 speed fan if you’re not gonna go back to mechanical.

Actually about 5-10 minutes after you shut it off maximum temperature is reached

Exactly.

It may also be a plus to move the fan to the
passenger side (under the filler neck)That
shroud is blocking off a lot of airflow. It
needs a smooth transformation from the
radiator mounting surface to the fan opening.
The fan should be approx 1" from the radiator with the fan blades into the
shroud about half way with 1" clearance
around the fan.
About 1/5 of the rad core is not covered
by the shroud.

My 440 is not broken in yet, and reaches
temps of 210 idling. A short trip around the
block brings the temp down to 200. This
will drop some once the motor is broke in.
The fan is 3000 cfm on a 3 core aluminum.

20220614_220218.jpg

20190615_144831.jpg

Last edited:
[1] Remove toy fan
[2] Fit factory shroud & clutch fan
[3] Go out & celebrate...

Auto Transport Service
Back