• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Drought

wahya

Local time
1:29 AM
Reaction score
I see that the drought condition is really going to cause corn prices to rise and there may not be enough to feed livestock, causing food prices to rise. Since 40% of the corn crop goes to ethanol, do ya think we could do without ethanol in our gas for a while.

the government has a stockpile of corn so i don't think that will be a problem. I know my mom may have to dig a new well or go deeper,some of her neighbors had to sell their cattle because their water was going dry.

I see that the drought condition is really going to cause corn prices to rise and there may not be enough to feed livestock, causing food prices to rise. Since 40% of the corn crop goes to ethanol, do ya think we could do without ethanol in our gas for a while.
We sure could go without it and get 2-3 mpg better also !!!

We probably could do without "corn alcohol", for internal combustion engines anyway...

right now the cattle and hog farmers are pushing the stock to the packers and prices will drop in the short run to clear the grocery store shelfs. then the pendulum will swing the other way and groceries will get more expensive for a time. Keep in mind, even with the drought, we (the USA) will still harvest the third or fourth largest corn crop since recording began. No worries....

Not to be argumentative, but I must disagree.
First, the 'govt reserves' are in reality a political football, and not enough to alleviate the problem. Plus, its a one time shot - there does not appear to be enough production to replenish it this year should it get used.
Remember too, that the govt of this country essentially gives away a significant portion of our production to other countries , to the detriment of our own even.
Between the drought and the lack of pollination naturally happening - in part due to cel phones killing a significant portion of the bee population - looks like we're in for a rough ride. Of course, this is just a small part of the problem...but dont want to get too 'political' in this thread. I would suggest looking at the article on "the economic collapse blog" about the drought tho. A friend just sent it to me yesterday and its pretty interesting.
See also II Chron 7:14...

I've been buying ethanol free gas for my cars for a long time and I'm doing just fine without it, thank you. We can always hope that corn prices going up will mean less ethanol being produced but I'll bet it just means higher prices.
I feel for you guys working in that heat, especially if you have an outside job. I couldn't do it anymore.

Hell we have some kind of drought here in Calif. probably 6 or 7 of every 10 years, or so the Liberal Govt. tells us anyway, most all our water from the mountains/snow packs & up here in the Northern or Eastern portions of the state goes to the S.F. Bay Area or down south to L.A., via Delta Mondata canal or other pipe lines, East Bay M.U.D., S.F. Water District from Yosemite Valley & from the Sacramento, American, San Joaquin, Consumness, Yuba, Stanislaus, Merced & Mokelumne Rivers, all going to water the lawns & supply the housing/apts. of the masses in the large inner-cities, a small portion goes to the North & South Central Calif. San Joaquin Valley farmers & crops, that don't already have irrigation already... We wouldn't really have a drought here, if not for the big metropolises taking the bulk of our water or if we had much, much better water management systems, especially in the years where/when we have a ton of snow & rain.... We have extremely lousy water management here... Water & the rights to it, is always a big political subject, here in Calif. every year...

Auto Transport Service
Back