• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Drum Shoe Adjustment Lever Pins

zsn0w

Local time
7:20 PM
Reaction score
Any tips on driving the pin that the self-adjuster lever rides on into the new shoes? Both the hardware kit and the shoes themselves came with the pins, so I've got some extras if I mess up, but trying to press them in with a clamp doesn't seem to be working too well and I feel like I'm going to break them hammering. Should I just keep trying to hammer them in?

Did you oil them before clamping? A C clamp should work.
I did not. If I can't get it to work with a different style clamp tonight I'll pull it back out and try it with oil. I was having a hard time centering the clamp with the style I was using, so I think I may be able to get more force straight on using a smaller clamp that I know I have sitting around somewhere. Was not expecting it to be such a tight press-fit!

Support the shoe with a socket around the hole, and just install the pin with a hammer. You don't have to wail on it, just drive it in...

I've installed thousands of those pins, lay the shoe over a vise with the jaws open about 1/2" & hammer it in....

c clamp won't work because the pint protrudes past the shoe

a super straight plumb alignment works with a hammer tap to get started

Couldn't get near enough force on the c clamp to press it in surprisingly, even hen I used an extension on the handle. A socket under the pin hole set on the concrete floor finally did it. Really had to beat on it. Deformed the top a bit, but it was all good on the parts that matter. Going to do the other side tomorrow... Not looking forward to that. Really can't believe how much force it took. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Store in freezer until you are ready to install to make them smaller

there are two different shoe designs, one uses the pins and one just uses the holes for the springs (different spring design too) to attach to.

on the design that uses the holes, I thought the holes were larger and had a horizontal slot going through the hole as well.

could you have gotten a non-pin set?

The freezer trick made the second one way easier. Had to really hit the first one hard to get it in but the second wasn’t too bad. Thanks everyone.

Auto Transport Service
Back