• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Drum to disc conversion

nigel

Local time
12:34 AM
Reaction score
So I am travelling that road many others have done before and changing from 10" drums on the front to the Wilwood 140-11020-DR. I'm sick and tired of not knowing if the car is going to stop or not. I'm keeping the rear drums as they are fully rebuilt. My question is what is the best option for booster/master cylinder setup for the car. The car is an original power brake setup but I'm changing the booster so I can have a full fresh brake system. I was looking at a setup that uses the Wilwood tandem master cylinder pre installed on a booster with a mounting bracket that is designed for power brake conversions but with slight modification it will fit factory power cars.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/196...er-brake-booster-kit-wilwood-master-cylinder/
Does anyone know this kit? Has anyone used it/recommend this kit?

The car is a 69 Satellite Mod Top with a 318. Motor is pretty stock and I'm also pulling good vacuum so I'm not intending on doing a hydrobooster or vacuum pump install.

So I am travelling that road many others have done before and changing from 10" drums on the front to the Wilwood 140-11020-DR. I'm sick and tired of not knowing if the car is going to stop or not. I'm keeping the rear drums as they are fully rebuilt. My question is what is the best option for booster/master cylinder setup for the car. The car is an original power brake setup but I'm changing the booster so I can have a full fresh brake system. I was looking at a setup that uses the Wilwood tandem master cylinder pre installed on a booster with a mounting bracket that is designed for power brake conversions but with slight modification it will fit factory power cars.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/196...er-brake-booster-kit-wilwood-master-cylinder/
Does anyone know this kit? Has anyone used it/recommend this kit?

The car is a 69 Satellite Mod Top with a 318. Motor is pretty stock and I'm also pulling good vacuum so I'm not intending on doing a hydrobooster or vacuum pump install.
I'm not familiar with the setup but I can assure you that if it's made by Wilwood there's little chance of a mismatch and the braking should be very good as it's an engineered system. You are only doing this once and do not want to be disappointed by false claims or money poorly spent.

Exactly!! Especially seeing as I live in ireland and I have to combat massive shipping costs and crazy importing fees.

The thing is I already have the disc kit on order. I got lucky on eBay and snatched up a very sweet deal on a new wilwood kit. Just looking for a booster and master cylinder package with proportioning valve to compliment the wilwood discs and the stock rear drums while also looking a bit on the cool side.

"looking a bit on the cool side". That's easy for me, MOPAR. You can hide the valve if need be

thumbnail_20141212_164408.jpg

That's a nice neat setup. I ended up biting the bullet and I got the Wilwood master cylinder on a new booster with a new valve. I liked the fact the whole thing was black. A living in ireland it's hard to keep chrome or zinc finish looking good after a few months due to the wet weather. All I have to do now is wait till the end of August for my parts to arrive and I'll post up a few pictures of the work and my verdict on if I made a good decision or not.

Good luck Nigel. Post up pictures when you can

Will do. I can't wait to get stuck into the job. I'm sick of not having brakes

Question: if you have manual drum brakes, and want POWER front disc brakes, does it matter if you have a Mopar brand hi rise intake manifold? That is, I have heard they have less vacuum and you need vacuum for the brake booster, yes? I actually don't even see where there is a vacuum hook up point on the intake manifold

Auto Transport Service
Back