• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dual 6x9 rear speaker install

Sonny

It’s all fun til the rabbit gets the gun.
Local time
2:16 PM
Reaction score
What is the best way to add a second 6x9 to the rear defroster opening?

Why do you want it there. Most B bodies have a 6X9 mounting point on the left and right rear. At least the 66-70's.

Why do you want it there. Most B bodies have a 6X9 mounting point on the left and right rear. At least the 66-70's.
My Belvedere has a 6x9 on the passenger side and a smaller opening on the driver side.

My Belvedere has a 6x9 on the passenger side and a smaller opening on the driver side.
I remember having 2 6X9's in my 67 Satellite, but haven't tried it in anything else since 1968 when I installed them in that Satellite. It may well be smaller, point taken. Thanks

For reference I have a 70 Belvedere

All my cars have the 2 different size holes as well. You can use 2 6x9's by hanging them under the package tray without cutting the small hole bigger. I use long #8 or 10 machine screws with nuts to secure.

All my cars have the 2 different size holes as well. You can use 2 6x9's by hanging them under the package tray without cutting the small hole bigger. I use long #8 or 10 machine screws with nuts to secure.

That is correct. Same here on my 68 Coronet. You can mount 6 X 9 speakers on the 5 X 8 speaker mount.

that is how I did mine

Does anyone have photos of this to post? Since we are talking about this, what 6X9s did you use and or recommend?

Does anyone have photos of this to post? Since we are talking about this, what 6X9s did you use and or recommend?
I just installed 6x9 kenwoods. They screwed onto the flanges perfectly. No need to drill holes and add long bolts.

just going to throw this in if interested. I just installed some 6x9 to 5x7 adapters in my 77. my car has a 5x7 hole on the drivers side and 5x7/6x9 hole on the pass side. these adapters are nice and made the swap easy.

IMG_1055a.jpg IMG_1072a.jpg

Last edited:
Same on my 69 runner. Fit the 6x9 on with no trouble. Used the further set of holes. Pioneer speakers.

Auto Transport Service
Back