• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dual AFB linkage/set-up on '63 318 Poly help

Cruncher Block

Local time
10:52 AM
Reaction score
Hello all. While I no longer have a Mopar of my own at the moment, I've been helping someone with a '63 Fury. He chose an earlier dual 4 bbl intake and two "ebay-find" rebuilt AFBs. He also supplied an Edelbrock progressive linkage kit. This posed several problems as the throttle cable is too short to reach the front carb and too long too fit the rear carb (the rear carb is the primary carb) I think I've gotten that issue sorted out but now the overall cable travel is still too short to fully open the carbs. I've tried making a throttle arm with numerous holes to try to match the throw of the stock cable, but even at its "shortest" possible throw, the stock cable still can't quite open the carbs fully. While he'll have plenty of carburation with the twin 4bbls, I'm having trouble getting the choke to reset when cold because I'm not quite getting full travel. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Set it up like a stock street hemi!! the distance between the shaft and the hole for the rod to the rear carb is shorter than the hole to the shaft on the rear, you only have to get to the rear carb with the cable, the difference between the distance of the holes makes the rear primaries about half open or so before the front primaries start to open. the rod that goes to the front carb has a slot in it to do this. the different distance between the shaft and holes makes the front "catch up" with the rear carb. so in driving around town most of the time you will only be engaging the front two barrels on the rear carb. Dave.

Auto Transport Service
Back