• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dual heater core advice

pearljam724

Local time
4:11 AM
Reaction score
69 Coronet ac car. I have coolant leaking in my car. . It leaks on the very edge of the passenger side of box. Hard to tell where it’s leaking from. Until I remove box. Undoubtedly the heater core. I believe it’s where the two pipes enter the box from the passenger side.
It’s one of those million dollar (lol !) dual heater cores. Has anyone saved a little money having one of these repaired ? Or what is the feedback on the aftermarket dual heater cores ? It seems their pipes aren’t long enough to reach the firewall like the originals and fabrication may be needed ? If you dealt with this, what did you decide on or do ?

Inlet pipe O-rings... (inside of the box)

Inlet pipe O-rings... (inside of the box)
You’re the man. Thank you. Where exactly are they ? Where the inlet pipe enters inside the core ?
I believe you’re probably right, based on the core is centered in the car and it doesn’t appear to leak there. It’s right on passenger edge of box. Right above the 2 vacuum pots, where the pipes go in.

Last edited:
There is another valve inside and short 5/8” heater hose. Take it apart and see where the leak(s) are.

The inlet pipe o rings are right behind where the pipes enter the box. The AC heater cores don’t have long pipes made onto them like a std heater does.

Many possible leak points inside that box.

Pics of the inlet pipes, pass side top of box, bolts on, o-rings inside.

D9A9885D-B17F-4E07-B5E0-1C6181672DD2.jpeg C6BF69CA-AC08-4D59-9C3E-F7AC7083B4C4.jpeg

Last edited:
There is another valve inside and short 5/8” heater hose. Take it apart and see where the leak(s) are.

The inlet pipe o rings are right behind where the pipes enter the box. The AC heater cores don’t have long pipes made onto them like a std heater does.

Many possible leak points inside that box.
Oh, you’re referring to the H Valve that has the O-rings and it’s a separate piece that the exterior pipes connect to ? I was wondering why those H-valves were listed for these cars ? Is it best to buy that H - valve as a complete unit or just replace the - O-rings ? I just don’t understand that it was leaking outside of the box. Rather than inside if it was an o- ring ?
I’m not looking forward to wrestling with this damn thing, lol !

My 2 cents. Like you I Had no desire to do it twice. I sent my core to Glenray to have Bob recore it and have him give you the name of the guy in his area to buy a new h valve from. $250 to recore and I forgot the cost of the valve. The aftermarket ones are a crapshoot if they fit or leak.

Just added this too my new Yorker post, it worked!

Flushed the core, disconnected it, and poured in a little alumaseal. Then got a little pump, mixed up the rest in a bucket , and pumped it through the core for a hour. So far so good!

Of course replacement is the best option

Auto Transport Service
Back