• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dual Quads On My 383?

Bigtime

Local time
10:26 AM
Reaction score
Hello,
I really want to put a dual quad set up on my '65 Coronet. I want to do it with progressive linkage, and the set up is basically for show, not go.
My Dodge has a healthy 383 in it....a decent "lumpy" cam [no cam card], 906 heads, Hedman headers, with a console shifted 727, and a 4.10 gear.
I have a matched pair of 600 Holleys with trick kits in them and are sequentially numbered [rare?]....NEVER run since rebuilt. The intake is an Offenhauser 360.
Would I be ok with the 600 carbs as long as I drive with a "light" right foot?
BTW, I'd trade these carbs EVEN for a pair of professionally rebuilt Edelbrock 500s.
Thanks for taking the time to read this....
Steve

One thing is, will there be enough room for 2 holleys end to end.

When I put dual Holleys on mine I needed offset spacers.
390s I believe.

Last edited:
If you can find some 450 cfm Holley 4bbls, they would be ideal. I ran them on an Olds 455 w Weiand tunnel ram. More than enough and light/part throttle was excellent.

I like the offy 360 intakes, just me prob. I had that same set up on my old 383 for a short time with 500 eddys.
Mine was a stock engine and a 2:76 rear lol, Looked cool but ran like crap.

I have a tr, ran good with 390s, ran great with 600s, both vacuum secondaries, then efi.
Never had progressive linkage.

One thing is, will there be enough room for 2 holleys end to end.
Thanks for your question. The intake has mounting plates so that I can turn them sideways if necessary. I uploaded a photo of how he had them mounted on his intake which is the same one that I am using. 1850 Holleys are pretty much square-shaped.

MY383INTAKE.JPG

I have a tr, ran good with 390s, ran great with 600s, both vacuum secondaries, then efi.
Never had progressive linkage.
Thanks for the response. The guy I bought the carbs from was going to 390s. Those carbs are too high $$$ for me. I have looked AND looked for a pair of 500 Edelbrocks to trade the 600s but no luck. Anyway, glad you had good luck in running the 600s. That encourages me to use what I have. What linkage did you run?

I like the offy 360 intakes, just me prob. I had that same set up on my old 383 for a short time with 500 eddys.
Mine was a stock engine and a 2:76 rear lol, Looked cool but ran like crap.
I'm hoping that the 4.10 [4.11?] rear gear will help that along with the "healthy" cam that's in it [no cam card], headers, and 906 heads. I guess I'll have to go to Lokar for linkage that incorporates a trans kick down.....Any linkage ideas?

If you can find some 450 cfm Holley 4bbls, they would be ideal. I ran them on an Olds 455 w Weiand tunnel ram. More than enough and light/part throttle was excellent.
The guy I bought these 600s from was going to 390 Holleys but I can't afford them. 450 Holleys would suit me fine too, but I've never found any posted for sale. I'm going to have to run what I have. It's all about show for me........I just turned 70.....my days of "stompin' it and goin' sideways" are over.

When I put dual Holleys on mine I needed offset spacers.
390s I believe.
I have plates mounted on the intake so I could mount them sideways if I chose to....please see the photo that I posted of them mounted on the same intake that I am using.

I did the same. Some heim joints and 5/16 rod. I also welded a tab pointed down at the right location for trans rod.

The guy I bought these 600s from was going to 390 Holleys but I can't afford them. 450 Holleys would suit me fine too, but I've never found any posted for sale. I'm going to have to run what I have. It's all about show for me........I just turned 70.....my days of "stompin' it and goin' sideways" are over.
When I look at all the cameras on poles at intersections and knowing just about every person on the street/sidewalk has a camera in hand ready to dial 911 if they get offended, we might all be caught within 30 minutes, have the car impounded and spend the night in jail then fined $100.00+. Glad I lived fast when I was young, late '70's and can remember it. I still have some fun on the back roads in southern York County.

Last edited:
When I look at all the cameras on poles at intersections and knowing just about every person on the street/sidewalk has a camera in hand ready to dial 911 if they get offended, we might all be caught within 30 minutes, have the car impounded and spend the night in jail then fined $100.00+. Glad I lived fast when I was young, late '70's and can remember it. I still have some fun on the back roads in southern York County.
I'm with you.....I grew up in the mid-60s and 70s those who missed that time missed THE best era EVER, IMO.

I always thought that on a dual quad you ran two smaller carbs than you would on a single, after years of running two carter 500s, I found out that on the Offy intake you needed to size them as if you had a single quad. I read this someplace and then found an old catalog that said as much. I now have two decent 500s on the shelf as I changed to 750s because of what I found out, and can't say there was a night and day difference. Page 14
http://offenhauser.co/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Offenhauser-Catalog-1987.pdf

Auto Transport Service
Back