• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dual single resevoir master cylinders?

ChryslerKid

Local time
8:37 AM
Reaction score
At one of the shops on my route today I see a cool 66' dodge truck. I go to check it out and notice it has two side by side single master cylinders with a hard vacuum line off the top of the intake feeding a brake booster under the dash. Is there any real advantage to doing it this way? Im guessing this was the same engineer that implemented the left hand thread lugnuts.

20220816_094407.jpg

Picture worth a thousand words but in this case more questions. Pictures under dash? Are both for brakes or is one for a clutch arrangements? Needed more room in engine compartments for PB booster?

I didnt take a picture under the dash but I was talking to the owner of the shop(one of the best mechanics I know). No clutch it was an automatic 4x4

Also i dont think ive ever seen under the valve covers of a poly 318. Straight exhaust rockers with diagonal intake rockers... just odd

20220816_094358.jpg

20220816_094352.jpg

Well 2 single pot master cylinders is definitely better than 1.
Where the heck did they find headers to fit a 4x4 poly

The one master cylinder is for the clutch. The leaver you saw was probably a three on the tree. The automatic trans had a shifter on the dash.

Three on the tree...
1966-Dodge-D100-02.jpg

Automatic...
5c2e413e41fcbc4cab31175deb193a22.jpg

I once had a 1966 Dodge pick-up. One master cylinder is hydraulic clutch.

Mid sixties Dodge trucks did have a master cylinder for the hydraulic clutch. I had a 65 model D100 with a slant 6 that had that setup. I bet that truck has been changed, and the old cylinder left in place on the firewall. (Probably to mess with people that ask the question.. LOL)

Auto Transport Service
Back