• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dual snorkel air cleaner

midnightrider1818

Local time
12:54 PM
Reaction score
Hey guys wanting to put my dual snorkel air cleaner on. Question is I have headers now and do not have heat riser hooked up. Do I need the heat riser hooked up for the thermo valve in air cleaner to work or will it have enough heat to operate properly without it. Also I'm running a Holley carb

Earlier dual snorkel air cleaners don't have a valve in them or any hook ups. But most of the earlier ones fit AFBs which have a smaller diameter throat. The later ones that fit a Holley do however have a valve. I thought the valves worked off of vacuum.

Hey guys wanting to put my dual snorkel air cleaner on. Question is I have headers now and do not have heat riser hooked up. Do I need the heat riser hooked up for the thermo valve in air cleaner to work or will it have enough heat to operate properly without it. Also I'm running a Holley carb
In late 60's and 70's, there was a thermal valve mounted on the bottom or side of the air cleaner housing. As temperatures rose the bimetal valve would allow manifold vacuum to flow to the air gates located at the end of the snorkels. These air cleaners used an air tube connected to one or the other rocker cover via an oil separator type cap, and the vacuum valve was located in close proximity. As warm air came up from the bowels of the engine (being sucked into the housing by negative pressure due to carb operation) the vacuum valve would cycle the gates from closed to wide open progressively according to the air temperature being sucked in and blended with incoming air via the snorkels. Some vacuum valves were not that sensitive and were either open or closed with no progression. All valves were highly temperature sensitive.

Auto Transport Service
Back