• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Durn snow

Ceedawg

Local time
11:29 AM
Reaction score
Here in the mid Va we got over a foot of heavy snow, downed every pine tree along the roads and power lines, we haven’t had power since 8:05 yesterday morning and house is about 45 inside. Got a gen but only 7500 watts so can’t run heat pump not sure about the heat strips. For all you people who wished for the snow, stick it sideways. Totally hate it even 1/2”
Rant over

Thank you for keeping it there. I really appreciate it.

Unfortunately for me, you won't be able to keep the next once that's supposed to come through later in the week.

Last edited:
Thank you for keeping it there. I really appreciate it.

Unfortunately for me, you won't be able to keep the next once that's supposed to come through later in the week.
SO DONE WITH IT HERE (South Jersey), "...SWINGING FOR THE GREEN MONSTER..." COMING TO YA RC!!!

I know when folks and the infrastructure are not ready for snow, it's overwhelming. I went to a relatives wedding, mid'70's in New Jersey. They got about 2" snow, darn near shut things down. Majority of drivers had no idea of how to move around. The next year was in Colorado skiing. Big snowfall, nearly 2 feet, the Colorado State Patrol was enforcing the "chain law". Needed chains to go up the mountain. Patrol stopped us at the check point, no chains. "Where you boys from? We replied it's just a little snow, we're from Minnesota, show me ID, OK you boys can go". True story. It was a pretty good snowfall, but Colorado had the plow equipment to deal with it.
I hope Texas learned from last years storm.

Edit: In Colorado, we driving a 914 Porche, mid engine, but not what I think of as a great snow car. We knew how to drive.

Last edited:
Here in the mid Va we got over a foot of heavy snow, downed every pine tree along the roads and power lines, we haven’t had power since 8:05 yesterday morning and house is about 45 inside. Got a gen but only 7500 watts so can’t run heat pump not sure about the heat strips. For all you people who wished for the snow, stick it sideways. Totally hate it even 1/2”
Rant over
Funny here on the coast of VA we got nothing! Heavy snowfall for maybe 2hrs but nothing stuck.

Rant over
Right there with you, lol! Got power back overnight, no generator here.

Need to get one, cold not really the issue, but not being able to run the well pump is a problem!

7500 Watt generator is a decent size. Get an infrared heater, most are about 1500 Watts.

And if it is going to be cold (14 degrees here), then there BETTER be snow on the ground! Sorry, NOT sorry!

burg

1640004143635.jpg

I know when folks and the infrastructure are not ready for snow, it's overwhelming. I went to a relatives wedding, mid'70's in New Jersey. They got about 2" snow, darn near shut things down. Majority of drivers had no idea of how to move around. The next year was in Colorado skiing. Big snowfall, nearly 2 feet, the Colorado State Patrol was enforcing the "chain law". Needed chains to go up the mountain. Patrol stopped us at the check point, no chains. "Where you boys from? We replied it's just a little snow, we're from Minnesota, show me ID, OK you boys can go". True story. It was a pretty good snowfall, but Colorado had the plow equipment to deal with it.
I hope Texas learned from last years storm.
Just a normal snowfall here. Great story!

Saw on the news this morning that I-95 around DC was shut down, and may still be, all last night. People trapped in their cars over night. I worked in news at WTVR in Richmond and we got 5 inches of snow one day in January. The News Director brought in cots to sleep on as no one could drive home and we did live broadcasts from around the city talking to people about this 'cataclysmic' snowfall.

I suggest thinking about an alternative heat source not dependant on electricity.
A wall mounted fireplace using propane might be a good alternative.
They also do a nice job heating your main living area during cold weather periods.
I have about 3 or 4 ways to keep some heat in the house. (Old drafty place...)
And relying purely on electricity is at the bottom of the list, it's just too expensive around here.

Sorry to say no snow here which is very unusual. 16 degrees overnight but up to 31 right now. A real heat wave!
I heat with two different boilers. One is oil, which is too expensive right now, and the other is coal fired and I burn a lot of wood in that also. Wood is free from the property, just have to cut and split.
Got a 6500 watt generator for backup when the power goes out and it will run the well pump for water and the pumps on the heat system, so no worries. Nice and toasty!
stay safe and warm!
ruffcut

Hmm.....all this talk of a dangerous snow storm.......just another day here in VERRRmont!

20220204_074942.jpg
20220204_080447.jpg
20220204_080451.jpg
20220204_080500.jpg

I had to shovel a path through this drift to get to the bird feeder in the front yard. The thing was getting mobbed, but it was nearly empty. Poor things. Other than a lot of drifting due to a steady wind out of the NW we have around 13-15" so far and it's still snowing. Had some gusty wind overnight, hence the deep drifting from off the roof on the lee side. Before this began we had green grass showing through and 44*F. lol...it's VT. Don't like the weather? Just wait a day.

We've been getting pouring rain here since overnight, but the temperature is now dropping and ice is predicted later on this morning into the evening. We might get an inch of snow before it ends.

We've been getting pouring rain here since overnight, but the temperature is now dropping and ice is predicted later on this morning into the evening. We might get an inch of snow before it ends.
It began raining here at 11:30am yesterday, then turned to snow at 12:30 and hasn't let up since. Not really cold though, 20* overnight and the same as a high for today. Had fun getting to the barn this morning, my muck boots were just tall enough to keep the snow out. A little high stepping though. lol. Good exercise. Left the animals in the barn today. At least until it stops snowing because the dinkey's coats don't dry like horses, they stay wet. Sheep turn into big snowballs with skinny legs. lol.

Folks there will skating around, both on foot and in vehicles today.

It's the ice that sucks. The snow is much easier and less damaging to deal with.

I suggest thinking about an alternative heat source not dependant on electricity.

And relying purely on electricity is at the bottom of the list, it's just too expensive around here.
That is a very profound statement. Imagine if he had to charge his electric car.

Auto Transport Service
Back