• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dust trail or no dust trail.

Charles Cook

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:40 AM
Reaction score
Can’t decide on the dust trail stripes so I put a piece of tape on the car so I can see about what it would look like. Would like you guys opinion. What you think ?
375DBE8E-7CC9-4659-A1F9-AE2B224BE297.jpeg

Did the car originally have one? I like 'em. If it were me, I would add the dust trail unless it's an original car and it didn't have that option.

Did the car originally have one? I like 'em. If it were me, I would add the dust trail unless it's an original car and it didn't have that option.
It did not have it originally. If I would have ordered it myself in 1970 I would have ordered it with the stripes. I think.

I thought the first time I saw them… it was the koolest thing! The road runner came out of that scoop! :D

My vote would be no stripe, because it didn’t have one originally. That said, I like the stripe myself, just can’t bring myself to add them on my car, which didn’t have them either. I also do not have the hood treatment, which I see yours has. I like that as well, but am not adding that on mine either. I guess I’m just too old to change now!

122F7DB8-D3C8-4E79-AFB1-48CCCC3B1639.jpeg

I like '70 RRs a whole bunch (very high up on my list of favorites), but I would never add that stripe. I would removed it if I owned a '70 RR. So there, that's my opinion.

If you add it to your car, then please get it right side up; and placed properly.

Post in thread 'Dust trail stripe' Dust trail stripe

Go for it if you like it...

I had a dark green 70 RR, it looked good on that car
but;
I don't think it looks good, on every car/color

I would think if the car didn't have it optioned
I wouldn't put one on...
that's only If you are doing a 'proper' by the #'s OE style resto

otherwise 'who cares', what others think

I'm a day 2 guy all the way, 'now'
nice wider wheels & tires, a lil' bling/chrome or polished alum.
better flowing exhaust, better carbs, ignition, wires, coil & camshaft etc.
& a few personal touches
no harm no foul in my mind

plenty of restored cars out there
have fun with it

but;
do what you like, it's your car
I won't hold anything against you :poke:

Last edited:
I'm no expert on 70 Road Runners, but when the stripe is centered on the scoop, it's crooked on the car .......

1664574351438.png

1664574386133.png

1664574566040.png

This is straight, but is it correct?

1664574597308.png

Dont do it Mike I think the car looks great the way it is.

I'm no expert on 70 Road Runners, but when the stripe is centered on the scoop, it's crooked on the car .......

View attachment 1350591

View attachment 1350592
View attachment 1350598

View attachment 1350600

The stripe is NOT supposed to be centered in the scoop. Note that the "road runner" script is not centered on the scoop. The dust trail stripe should be centered on the road runner script.

I like the dust trail stripe and added one to my car. It is also reflective, so it adds a measure of safety so just maybe, someone not paying too much attention might see it!

20210905_142406.jpg

View attachment 1350591

View attachment 1350592
View attachment 1350598

View attachment 1350600
It's according the advert. photo supposed to be
about 1/3 (almost 1/2) of the way down, in the scoop in the rear, off centered
like even or inline with the 'road runner' lettering on the outside of the scoop
with the front of the smoke trail & Bird inline barely above the front wheel well

with the right wheel & tire selection (or stager now)
or rear leaf spings & TB adj. it should look level

or with taller/wider rear tires
appears going 'downhill a tad' towards the front, is my personal preference
the stripe is still in the same place
the proper stance can enhance it

70 Roadrunner 440-6bbl Advert. #1.jpg

Last edited:
@HawkRod
must have been posting about the same time I was
beat me too it :poke:

Auto Transport Service
Back