• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dying seats

1967 satellite

Local time
2:49 PM
Reaction score
My seats in my 67 satellite are in near perfect condion except for the color (black). No tears, no creases nothing. They look faded. Anything I can do to restore the color?

Clean them good and shoot them with SEM's Landau black. Good Luck

Use adhesion promoter.

Fortunately in your situation you are doing black over black, so any wear through later should not be obvious.

67 Satie, for the interior stuff I needed, I used Dupli Color "Vinyl and Fabric Speciality Coating". I do not have any miles on what I used it for, but it certainly went on nice. Dupli Color has a good video on their site of how it works. You can choose your colors. Best, B.

I have a 66 Belvedere with blue vinyl seats that were recently upholstered…..want to change to white or black
How does it last over time? Does it come off eventually? SEM seems to have the best stuff to make this happen…comments? Thoughts? It’s not a daily driver

293E1415-2BDD-48EF-9E3E-A7DB8EF9DAFC.jpeg

I will second SEM with an adhesion promoter. Scrubbing the seats thoroughly clean is also critical. There are two SEM blocks to consider. Landau black has slightly more gloss than SEM Satin Black. I prefer the Satin Black on vinyl and plastic parts but I’m not sure about for soft vinyl though.

Another option if you have a compressor and spray gun is to go to a PPG dealer and have him mix up some matching PPG Elastomeric Vinyl Paint. It’s usually mixed to spray right out of the can in my experience. Might be a better choice for something as large as a seat, but SEM is an excellent product.

I have a 66 Belvedere with blue vinyl seats that were recently upholstered…..want to change to white or black
How does it last over time? Does it come off eventually? SEM seems to have the best stuff to make this happen…comments? Thoughts? It’s not a daily driver

View attachment 1230218

I would not personally risk a color change painting/dyeing a seat. But others have done it successfully so there you are. On something as large as a bench seat, rattle cans are not the way to go IMO. Use a compressor and gun and purchase PPG elastomeric interior paint and do it right. Follow their instructions carefully for cleaning, priming and spraying.

Used a PPG dealer vinyl dye black is easy they sell vinyl cleaner and conditioner. The conditioner softens the vinyl. I did my whole interior did a color change on a seat back black to gold came out great. Picture is 15 years later.
Clean Satellite 2.jpg

SEM does sell by the quart, not just rattle bombs. I used their rattle bomb on the dash of my daily, holding good after nearly 2 years, but it's a dash. Low wear area.

Thanks everyone for your help on this. I’ve done a lot of research as to what brand of dye and SEM seams like the way to go….I got a price to professionally dye the seats at $1500. I’m going to try it. I’ll let everyone know. Thanks again

I think you can buy new covers from Legendary for less than that, although you might have to wait nine months for the.

Yeah at $1500 it isn't worth it IMO. I'd be more inclined to buy the dye and do it yourself.

$1500 :realcrazy::realcrazy::realcrazy::realcrazy::realcrazy::realcrazy::realcrazy::realcrazy::realcrazy::realcrazy::realcrazy::realcrazy::realcrazy:
If I can do it you can. Take your time and as a last resort follow the directions.:D

I’ve used DuPont Vinyl Color with awesome results. Paint suppliers can mix it up.

Auto Transport Service
Back