• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E-85 fuel for street use

dantrap

Local time
2:12 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone converted to use E-85 for Hi-performance use in a street car? I understand the corrosion issues and the 1.5 times fuel usage, but I wonder about the other required maintains. The car would have all of the required "fuel safe" components in the system. My reason for the question is the cost/octane difference. It Cost about $1.95-$2.00 for summer 106 octane E-85 and for similar race fuel its $7.00-8.00 per gal. So even if you bending C12 & 93 @ (50 percent ratio) pump gas your looking still looking at 5+ bucks per gal. Plus if you’re spraying any Nitrous you must use 100% race fuel, very expensive. The kits run about $300 for the carb. If anyone has run across any reference material that would be helpful, send me the link. But if you’re guessing on the issue, please don’t reply. Thanks Dantrap

I saw a good article in MoPar Action mag a while back but can't remember exactly which issue. I do remember the conversion was done to an older Dodge truck and the end result was favorable. They used a modified TQ carb, ran something like 13:1 CR and got about 2-3 MPG worse than the comparable gas engine but made up for that in more power.

thanks Meep, read that one also. i am going to have to dig a little deeper before i make the swap. I know a few guys using E-85 at the track full time, and its working good so far. But i have found very little on street applications.

Auto Transport Service
Back