• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E body exhaust sound

68rrdream

Local time
6:08 PM
Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed that e bodies' exhaust always sounds really mean and rough compared to their a and b body cousins.

Is there anything to this or just my imagination?

Has anyone else noticed that e bodies' exhaust always sounds really mean and rough compared to their a and b body cousins.

Is there anything to this or just my imagination?
SHorter pipes?

I'd bet mostly on imagination.

Edit: E bodies had resonators ahead of the mufflers to tone down the sound.

Last edited:
Shorter pipes and larger tips. Can't get any louder than mine. With mufflers it's still louder then most cars with open headers.

Like 66satellite mentioned the resonators are in front and the mufflers are in the back. The sound coming directly out of a muffler is always louder than if it travels over the axle and through a tail pipe like the B Body cars have.
1676214413214.png

think it may have to do with the speed of the exhaust gas and how it flows as it exits.

The size of the pipes play into it as well - thickness of the pipes and flow patterns (how the noise resonates as it travel through a vessel/harmonics)
440, 440 sixpack and hemi are 2.5 head pipe and 2.25 over the axle, 2.0 at the tips.
Also - number of baffling plates in the mufflers and resonators and where they are located relative to the exit side.
and the lack of or inclusion of, a cross-over pipe.

single wall pipe vs. double wall pipe and steel vs. stainless steel changes tone-

But I think you are correct - my Sixpack challenger always had a loud growl at the tips.
but - one time I was parked next to a OE Hemi RR with resonators/mufflers and it sounded the same.

My 2 cents---
Bill

Most E-bodies I owned or heard had the resonators removed. They have a bit more of a "snap" than B-bodies it seems. I prefer a B-body especially a 440 or Hemi with their exhaust system. A close second was the HP Fords, they seemed to have a unique sound as well, the Boss, 351 and 428s all had a nice tone.

Most E-bodies I owned or heard had the resonators removed. They have a bit more of a "snap" than B-bodies it seems. I prefer a B-body especially a 440 or Hemi with their exhaust system. A close second was the HP Fords, they seemed to have a unique sound as well, the Boss, 351 and 428s all had a nice tone.
That's a good description of what I mean

Nothing to do with resonators, and everything to do with no tailpipes and mufflers at the end of the exhaust run. Same as late model mustangs, camaros, etc. Tailpipes are like a megaphone after the mufflers, but also smooth the pulses out to take away the raspiness. I've owned a ton of BigBlock E bodies and B bodies and always prefered the sound of the B body stock exhaust. It's all preference. I put mufflers where Ebody resonators go and ran straight pipes out to the valance from them and got the b body sound on my ebody.

Auto Transport Service
Back