• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E3 spark plugs

1962savoy

Local time
12:17 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys I was watchig GEARZ this morning and the had a little segment about the difference E3 plugs make in torque and horsys?? Anyone spend the extra cash and run these plugs????? I ws debating weather or not to shell out the cash for them??
Let me know your thoughts on them please
CHEERS!!!!:eek:ccasion5:

I haven't seen many positive comments about them on forums. Most people seem to think they're a waste of money. I use NGK or Accel but I've been tempted to try the E3's.

Spark plugs have been used for a hundred years. If more, or funkier electrodes were the answer, they would be used by now. The Big Three spend Millions of dollars a year trying to squeeze 1 mpg out of their cars. If a funky plug could do it, then they would be using it! Sorry, I just think that special plugs, and super wires are just the "snake-oil" of the hot rod industry.

I have tried these E 3 plugs and have put them in my cars and now my motorcycle. I feel they are worth the exrtra money.

Have not put them in my 73RR and do not intend to.

Best Ralph

Ok, one thing I will give, is that the platinum plugs can have a 100k mile lifespan. But that would only be with a F.I. motor. On a carbed motor, they would be sodded-up with deposits long before that, but not worn out.

Oh, they're definitely more efficient -- at pulling money out of your wallet when you buy them. There's nothing new or groundbreaking about them, and the maker's claim that "the spark plug hasn't changed since 1904" is idiotic. I had to give them credit for at least having some valid science on their site. I called them up -- it was almost impossible to find their phone number; they've worked very hard to keep it hidden. It was nowhere on their site, and they deliberately left it off their domain registration's whois info. I did find it, though, and spoke to the guy who answered the phone. He claims the plug was designed by Champion's retired head spark plug engineer from the 1960s, who oversees production of the plugs...in China...by a subcontractor of a subcontractor. Whee, are we havin' fun yet? :roll: It's all marketeering, no substance. All sizzle, no steak. All hat, no cowboy. All litterbox, no cat.

Gimmicky spark plug scams are nothing new. Back in the days of gas price wars that started at 29¢/gallon and went downward from there, JC Witless had full-page ads hollering RUN YOUR CAR WITHOUT SPARK PLUGS! Back then they called 'em "fire injectors" rather than "E3" or "pulse plugs", but the claims, hype, handwaving and pseudoscience were just about the same.

Buy a quality spark plug of the correct heat range. That's all you have to do. Everyone's got his own preferences in brand; from where I sit Champion is cheaply-made Junk and Autolite is, too, now that they're made in China. I've never liked Bosch, but NGK has always sold me consistently well-made, good-working spark plugs so that's what I use.

:laughing6:

I use the Champion plugs they work fine, if you ant to increase performance get a bigger engine lol

Oh, they're definitely more efficient -- at pulling money out of your wallet when you buy them. There's nothing new or groundbreaking about them, and the maker's claim that "the spark plug hasn't changed since 1904" is idiotic. I had to give them credit for at least having some valid science on their site. I called them up -- it was almost impossible to find their phone number; they've worked very hard to keep it hidden. It was nowhere on their site, and they deliberately left it off their domain registration's whois info. I did find it, though, and spoke to the guy who answered the phone. He claims the plug was designed by Champion's retired head spark plug engineer from the 1960s, who oversees production of the plugs...in China...by a subcontractor of a subcontractor. Whee, are we havin' fun yet? :roll: It's all marketeering, no substance. All sizzle, no steak. All hat, no cowboy. All litterbox, no cat.

Gimmicky spark plug scams are nothing new. Back in the days of gas price wars that started at 29¢/gallon and went downward from there, JC Witless had full-page ads hollering RUN YOUR CAR WITHOUT SPARK PLUGS! Back then they called 'em "fire injectors" rather than "E3" or "pulse plugs", but the claims, hype, handwaving and pseudoscience were just about the same.

Buy a quality spark plug of the correct heat range. That's all you have to do. Everyone's got his own preferences in brand; from where I sit Champion is cheaply-made Junk and Autolite is, too, now that they're made in China. I've never liked Bosch, but NGK has always sold me consistently well-made, good-working spark plugs so that's what I use.

LOL,,,, current will only flow through one point across the gap.... I have always shaken my head at these multi electrode plugs! Even that commercial showing them in ultra slow motion shows the spark jumping the gap at one wire each time!!!!! The only thing they got going for them, is the few people who purchase them, convincing themselves and as many people who will listen that it was the right choice... LOL

67 B-body you being self proclaimed electrical engineer, what plugs do you run ? or suggest to others to run ? I've always been a big NGK guy not for any reason really just had a friend who would supplied them to a bunch of local race teams & they seemed to be better than the Champions & Autolites we were running before that... any insight into the theory or structure of spark plugs, materials, electrodes etc. good & bad...

67 B-body you being self proclaimed electrical engineer, what plugs do you run ? or suggest to others to run ? I've always been a big NGK guy not for any reason really just had a friend who would supplied them to a bunch of local race teams & they seemed to be better than the Champions & Autolites we were running before that... any insight into the theory or structure of spark plugs, materials, electrodes etc. good & bad...

Electricaly all I can say is that they all work the same "excluding non-resistor plugs"
Physical aspects and materials used obviously very a bit, and can probably be classified into just a few different categories.
I know some materials resist transfer better than others "like Platinum". Remember when you would clean the points in your dist, and find a collection of stuff building on one contact of the points? Some of this was actualy transfered from the apposing contact. The spark plug does the same thing and as I said, some materials resist this better than others.
Gotta go,,, wifes calling for me!

Those who claim they see a significant improvement when switching to "high tech" plugs are people who are replacing a set of plugs with 80K miles on them with new ones. Of course they're going to see an improvement. Wanna see if there's any real benefit? Put new conventional plugs in your engine, run it for a few weeks, then replace them with Splitfires, or E3's or whatever. Betcha see no differance.

Those who claim they see a significant improvement when switching to "high tech" plugs are people who are replacing a set of plugs with 80K miles on them with new ones. Of course they're going to see an improvement. Wanna see if there's any real benefit? Put new conventional plugs in your engine, run it for a few weeks, then replace them with Splitfires, or E3's or whatever. Betcha see no differance.

Agreed!

I know it's the freaken snake oil theory, but the Split Fire's in my Yamaha Banshee 350 cc 2 stroke 75 hp beater, lasted almost twice as long as any other plugs before fouling out, like 3 tanks verses the second half of the second tank of fuel... explain that 1... I know it's a crap proposal, but it's fact... What's up with that...

I know it's the freaken snake oil theory, but the Split Fire's in my Yamaha Banshee 350 cc 2 stroke 75 hp beater, lasted almost twice as long as any other plugs before fouling out, like 3 tanks verses the second half of the second tank of fuel... explain that 1... I know it's a crap proposal, but it's fact... What's up with that...

Probably nothing to do with the "splitfire" but maybe the heat range. I wonder would Autolites have lasted in the same engine with the same heat range?

Every heat range

Probably nothing to do with the "splitfire" but maybe the heat range. I wonder would Autolites have lasted in the same engine with the same heat range?

I tried all brands of the some heat range not just 1 set, 4 sets 1 full box of each brand, multiple tanks full of the same type of fuel at similar attitude with similar relative air density, NGK, Autolite, Champion, E-3, Split-Fire, AC, Nippendenso & some other fringe brands, the fuel mixture was a constant 50-1 & the same 91 octane Shell premium unleaded gasoline every time, I didn't go as far as to hydrometer the gas, but... "I know it's crap" believe me I know how to do a comparison or R & D, I did it for 35+ years on my drag cars for CRC...

Never used them but when i asked a couple guys they said stick with what you have. That would be Autolite in the Mopar and AC Delco in the Chevy and tractor.

I tried all brands of the some heat range not just 1 set, 4 sets 1 full box of each brand, multiple tanks full of the same type of fuel at similar attitude with similar relative air density, NGK, Autolite, Champion, E-3, Split-Fire, AC, Nippendenso & some other fringe brands, the fuel mixture was a constant 50-1 & the same 91 octane Shell premium unleaded gasoline every time, I didn't go as far as to hydrometer the gas, but... "I know it's crap" believe me I know how to do a comparison or R & D, I did it for 35+ years on my drag cars for CRC...

Well, the reason I ask is because for many years Autolite made the splitfire brand.

Didn't Champion and AC Delco make the same "spitfire" type plug? Same type as Auto-lite i mean...

Auto Transport Service
Back