• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early 60's model 19 spline converter

Red63440

Local time
1:00 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone updated their original 19 spline converter to a higher stall speed and if so where do you buy it?

Look for the old Direct Connection(maybe older) Chrysler "J" converter.
There may be someone that has one.Don't hold me to it but it may be what you are looking for.
Someone will chime in if I'm wrong.I remember they were THE converter in the 60's-70's.
You also may be able to send yours out to a well known converter company and have it re-worked.

More than likely, you’ll have to send yours out to be tweaked........ unless you find a shop that has a core.

Thanks...Looks like the smart thing is to have the front pump updated to the newer style so later 60's and up converters can be used and have a larger choice.

Last edited:
More than likely, you’ll have to send yours out to be tweaked........ unless you find a shop that has a core.

I supposably had mine tweaked and I really don't notice a difference. Asking the shop who did it and my trans guy, there isn't much that they can get out of the stock 19 spline converter.

Finding a NOS 19 spline high stall would be kool if there's any left. Don't know if I would trust a used one unless it could be rebuilt or at least disassembled and inspected.

Thanks...Looks like the smart thing is to have the front pump updated to the newer style so later 60's and up converters can be used and have a larger choice.

This would be the ticket. I don't remember exactly what parts are needed but Doug @dvw will know.

If you find a 10" or a 11" converter make sure it doesn't rub on pump housing. My 66 hemi pump housing is machined in the center and supply bulge below front pump.

Did some research and I found that it takes not only the original converter but also a 68 or later 10 or 11 inch just to make one for the early transmission that has a higher stall speed.

Last edited:
They are out there. Florida torque converter makes them in reasonable sizes, good reviews. Hughes also makes them in common configs. I keep a set of 23 spline guts around in case I want to change, plucked from a freebie motorhome tranny.

Real easy swap. You need a 27 spline input shaft, pump gears, reaction shaft support. The reaction shaft has to be pre 71 if you are using your existing front drum. If the parts you use are 71 and up, then you need the 71 and up front drum as well. Except for the front drum you can not use the the smooth end shaft and reaction shaft support from a lock up trans. best to grab all the parts from the same trans. As there are slight variations in the input shaft and reaction support through the years.
Doug

If your interested I have a 19 spline 11" Hemi converter. Can't ship because of fluid in it. I'll get pictures if your interested. See your in NY I'm near Waterbury Ct.

If your interested I have a 19 spline 11" Hemi converter. Can't ship because of fluid in it. I'll get pictures if your interested. See your in NY I'm near Waterbury Ct.
Fran, if he doesn’t go for it I might. 20 minute ride from here!

Hemi converter will probably need the back of the pump machined to clear. You can actually do it with a flap disc.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back