• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early 69 vs late 69 drum brakes

Mattkowalski

Local time
9:03 PM
Reaction score
Getting ready to replace my rear 10 x 2-1/2 drums and shoes on my 67 Coronet. Does anyone know if you can replace all the hardware and shoes with the late 69 - 75 setup?

Looking at the pictures of the parts they don't seem much different, but I'd rather see if anyone has had success with this upgrade before I make the attempt.

10X2 1/2" brakes are just that, your hardware and brake shoes should be no different. Some later years had finned drums, but I would think there would be no problem.

I just "converted" all my 11" drums from the '68 stock setup (no auto adjusters) to the '69-up
hardware WITH the auto-adjusters and it all swaps just fine, like it belonged there to begin with.
Is that your question?

Thanks guys! Much appreciated. It sounds like I am good to go with the upgrade.

In a addition to you awesome fellows, I just heard back from two other sources, DoctorDiff and Ehrenberg, that said you can use the 69 and later adjusting hardware on your pre-69 10" X 2-1/2" drums as an upgrade to prevent over adjustment/tightening. They both sell kits for this.

Evidently the brake shoes are most likely interchangeable as well. But specifically, the difference is the early shoes should have a round hole and the later shoes have a triangular one which the latter accepts both parking brake levers.

I'm learning something new every day...

Auto Transport Service
Back