• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early 727 Trans with Push Button and Rear Pump Questions.

TLH101

Local time
5:55 PM
Reaction score
Planning a full rebuild on my '63 Dodge 727, in the spring, due old hard seals. I have been pouring over lots of info on the web, and watching videos, but there is no info on the older push button shift 727.
What the main rebuild differences, for the cable shift and park, and concerning the rear pump?

1 Rt 66 Natl..jpg

If you've done later 727's you'll be OK to do the early ones. Obviously you don't want to be tempted to substitute any later parts into that trans, or you'll find serious mis-match issues. There are some important small parts to watch out for that late model trans don't have( especially between the shafts and near the rear pump)... I would suggest a factory service manual for your car, as there will be vital adjustment info there. Also, I can suggest both 727 rebuild books out there....the one by Tom Hand and also Carl Monroes book, if you don't already have them. If you can find an exploded view of a '65 or earlier trans floating around on the 'net, it may help.

I would recommend you contact Torque Flite Patty and purchase the small parts necessary to convert to a part throttle kick down. It makes accelerating much more enjoyable. I did so with my 65 Coronet. I also recommend Mopar ATF+4 fluid.
Mike

also make sure you use the correct filter , the newer larger ones don't have the extra hole for the rear pump feed. The rear pump feeds the governor for proper shifting.

Don't lose the ball that sits in a pocket in the output shaft and drives the rear oil pump. When reassembling this ball in the shaft pocket, I coat it with grease so it stays in place. Get a shop manual. It has great exploded parts illustrations and steps you through the disassembly and reassembly process. When you have the rebuild pretty well buttoned up and have to drop the front pump assembly in the case to check input shaft clearances, leave the rubber gasket off the outside of the assembly. This makes it easier to pull the pump if you have to make clearance adjustments. Install this gasket only for final assembly.

All info here is good. If for some reason you want to mix/match parts to install a later converter it's easy enough. As stated with the full auto valve body you must retain the rear pump. The metal seal rings are different sizes between these and later models. The filter also needs two inlet holes The second hole is for the rear pump.
Doug

I would recommend you contact Torque Flite Patty and purchase the small parts necessary to convert to a part throttle kick down. It makes accelerating much more enjoyable. I did so with my 65 Coronet. I also recommend Mopar ATF+4 fluid.
Mike
Tell me more about adding the part throttle kick down to the cable/pushbutton trans...cost to do it...how involve to install ? I have a 62 Fury wagon.

A&A Transmissions, near Indy, might have the needed parts. This is an entirely different system than that used on '71-up transmissions. I think the cable shift version was used on some 6 cylinder applications, such as taxi.

Post #8 yes, I'm curious about this addition as well. Came across this addition being sold on ebay a few years ago and lost track of it. All I can say is when I want to have a part-throttle go, I press the buttons manually...it is fun to use them from time to time anyway. Went with a later TC during engine overhaul and dropped the external filter and internal screen filter for a replaceable one used on later years.

Auto Transport Service
Back