• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early B body With a HEMI starter installation tips????

kz5rt2

Local time
2:07 AM
Reaction score
Sorry for having to reach out on this, but I'm struggling installing a mini starter on an early b body with a Hemi.

I'm running TTI 2-1/8 headers with power steering.

I dropped the power steering sector, unbolted and dropped the header. I'm pulling the rest of my remaining hair out trying to get this back in.

Has anyone encountered this before? If so, are there any tips or tricks out there?

Thanks,
Wes

Sorry for having to reach out on this, but I'm struggling installing a mini starter on an early b body with a Hemi.

I'm running TTI 2-1/8 headers with power steering.

I dropped the power steering sector, unbolted and dropped the header. I'm pulling the rest of my remaining hair out trying to get this back in.

Has anyone encountered this before? If so, are there any tips or tricks out there?

Thanks,
Wes

Patience! I have had mine in and out a few times but never did it the way you did. I did have to loosen the TTI's at the block and collector but that's it. With a series of about three spins of the starter, 4 different tilt angles and moving it back and fourth three times, voila it fits. You also need to be well versed in cussing and swearing. Make sure to attach the solenoid wire before you finally seat it in place.

Wish I give some words of wisdom.My header flange on that side are 3 piece.The rear tube comes out and I have easy access to the starter,,,,,,

I put one in on my 70 Bee with the 426 hemi
TTIs
But, again, not an early B-body

here's my tip........

milwaukee-sawzall-6538-21.jpg

Patience! I have had mine in and out a few times but never did it the way you did. I did have to loosen the TTI's at the block and collector but that's it. With a series of about three spins of the starter, 4 different tilt angles and moving it back and fourth three times, voila it fits. You also need to be well versed in cussing and swearing. Make sure to attach the solenoid wire before you finally seat it in place.

Yep, stay cool & you'll get there. If you're just missing it by 1/2" or something, maybe loosen the driver's side motor mount & lean the engine a little with a cherry picker or floor jack & a block of wood?

My starter was a bitch to install on the hemi in my 65. Header was completely unbolted from the head. Lots of jiggling in different positions and then somehow it goes on. Getting the starter bolts will be the next fun task. Need to be flexible. Then you find out you forgot to attach the cable and have to pull the starter out again. Lots of vocabulary.
I am waiting for the grandson to get old enough to help in the garage. Those small hands will be useful in tight places like this.

That's kind of what I thought. These Hemi's are shoe horned into these early B bodies. I hope I never have to do this again.

Auto Transport Service
Back