• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eastwood's AD is misleading here....

Sixpaksteve

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:00 AM
Reaction score
Just an FYI to anyone viewing the popup ad Eastwood is currently running today on our site.

On the popup ad, I noticed what I thought was a fair price on their Versa Cut 40 plasma cutter. This afternoon when I picked on that plasma cutter in the ad I was taken to Eastwoods website where the price for the same item is listed for $50.00 more [plus shipping of course].

I wrote Eastwood's customer service to ask what was going on and why the discrepancy? They responded back promptly and after some back and forth [including me sending them a .PDF of the B Bodies page proving to them that the ad was there] they eventually informed me that it was an expired popup and that the price on their website was 'it'.

I feel that they should have honored the popup ad price, since they failed to take the popup down before raising the prices on their webpage.

I thanked them for their prompt reply to my questions and then said I was now buying elsewhere.....

Not honoring the AD was just bad business on their part. That's just stupid.

I agree with your decision. now everyones know not to buy there cause you know the after sales services is questionable..

Let’s call it what it is.
Eastwood is a harbor freight, with marketing and social media presence geared toward the hot rod guys.

All their stuff is Chink.

Their supplies are marginal, as opposed to good, name brand, stuff.

Harbor freight in the US or Princess auto in Canada sells crap. Low grade goods. Its cheap because its cheap. The metals used in presses , vices , hand tools are low grade. And I feel my safety comes first over trying to save a buck on cheap stuff. My two cents of this isnt worth much. But being safe is.

Harbor freight in the US or Princess auto in Canada sells crap. Low grade goods. Its cheap because its cheap. The metals used in presses , vices , hand tools are low grade. And I feel my safety comes first over trying to save a buck on cheap stuff. My two cents of this isnt worth much. But being safe is.
I agree metal products like drill bits, chisels, screw drivers are crap! I do still have and use an electric four-inch grinder that I bought about six years ago. That thing has been through multiple car restorations. I have one of their 90 amp welder’s that is just as old and been through the cars also. There are a few things I’ve bought that have lasted but most things usually wear out or are one use. I did buy my 60 gallon five horse air compressor there. I watched a few videos and found out the compressors that were sold back in 2015 had pumps that were built in Italy and the rest of the machine was from Mexico. Nothing from China. I was able to find one about a year and a half ago still in stock at the store.

Do yourself a favor and install an ad blocker on your browser/phone.
Never seeing pop-ups is a simple pleasure of life. :thumbsup:

Do yourself a favor and install an ad blocker on your browser/phone.
Never seeing pop-ups is a simple pleasure of life. :thumbsup:

Ironically, I DO run an ad blocker on my browser, but for our site here I had it set to "allow acceptable ads that are not annoying". The Eastwood ad wasn't annoying as it shows up on the right side of the screen and away from the site's main content. I have since changed my ad blockers settings.....

For what it's worth, Eastwoods final comment to me on the whole matter was that the ad we see here on the site with their name on it wasn't placed here by their company. It was placed by various 3rd party search engines that aren't endorsed by Eastwood so therefore they don't have honor anything we see in those ads. I'm skeptical that Eastwood has no control over them or that they aren't paying someone in marketing somewhere to create these 3rd party ads, but that's just MHO.

I was naive in believing that a monitored site such as ours vetted any/all ads before the user community got to see them and that doesn't seem to be the case if Eastwood is being honest with me. So the 'lessons learned' that I'm taking from this is to ignore any/all ads seen on this site or any other and if I'm interested in something I'll go directly to the source via a different method.

Last edited:
Ironically, I DO run an ad blocker on my browser, but for our site here I had it set to "allow acceptable ads that are not annoying". The Eastwood ad wasn't annoying as it shows up on the right side of the screen and away from the site's main content. I have since changed my ad blockers settings.....

For what it's worth, Eastwoods final comment to me on the whole matter was that the ad we see here on the site with their name on it wasn't placed here by their company. It was placed by various 3rd party search engines that aren't endorsed by Eastwood so therefore they don't have honor anything we see in those ads. I'm skeptical that Eastwood has no control over them or that they aren't paying someone in marketing somewhere to create these 3rd party ads, but that's just MHO.

I was naive in believing that a monitored site such as ours vetted any/all ads before the user community got to see them and that doesn't seem to be the case if Eastwood is being honest with me. So the 'lessons learned' that I'm taking from this is to ignore any/all ads seen on this site or any other and if I'm interested in something I'll go directly to the source via a different method.
Nah, Joey has this joint rigged up with the usual GoogleAds thingamadoie, least he did last time I looked.
Hey, it generates much needed revenue to keep the place going - but that's also why the forum must be strictly
monitored for content (because Googly eyes are also watching, natch) and the adult material is herded off into specific
places.
You pretty much get what GA pumps through when you sign up for them; they arrange the ad content, for better or
worse.

Nah, Joey has this joint rigged up with the usual GoogleAds thingamadoie, least he did last time I looked.
Hey, it generates much needed revenue to keep the place going - but that's also why the forum must be strictly
monitored for content (because Googly eyes are also watching, natch) and the adult material is herded off into specific
places.
You pretty much get what GA pumps through when you sign up for them; they arrange the ad content, for better or
worse.
Exactly!

It's a game, google something and watch it follow you around for days anywhere you go. Kind of scary if you ask me.

I was a loyal Eastwood customer for 19 years, relying on them for all kinds of products while restoring my '68 Barracuda bought in 1991. My upgraded powder coating setup came from them, a Pro1100 with a 1-year warranty. Within that year, I returned FIVE of those setups due to various issues. When the sixth one took a dump, I ended up on the phone with office manager Cathy. She refused to honor the warranty, indicated I was "being fired" as a customer, and told me they would no longer sell me anything. "I just bought an $1,100.00 Baldor buffer two months ago. You're telling me if I have a problem with it, you aren't going to honor your warranty obligation?" She said 'we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.'

Thankfully it's only needed a condenser since then, a $16 purchase at a semi local electrical supplier.

I started using a metal conditioner / corrosion inhibitor on parts called LiquiGuard. It worked great! I was eventually asked to undertake scientific product testing for it (salt spray/longevity) and developed a good relationship with the owner. After a few years Eastwood approached the company with an offer to sell it. I learned then that EVERYTHING Eastwood markets is actually made or manufactured by someone else; when they agree to do so, they then put their own label on it and mark it up anywhere from 40-65%!!!

All it takes is a little research to find out who REALLY makes your favorite restoration products. Buy from them directly and tell Eastwood to shove it.

I agree, many companies do the same thing. Buy, rebrand and ship it.

4y5edv.jpg

:D

Auto Transport Service
Back