• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Edelbrock 1440 500 cfm x 2 offy dual quad 383

wagonman

Local time
6:15 AM
Reaction score
I have my buddies 63 wagon running but it is fat for sure. Did a compression test and all cyls are all within 5 psi of each other at 170. Also did a leak down and all are at 6-8 %. We wanted to verify this before going further. Put new plugs in and they are fouling with fuel. Pulled 1 carb so far and popped the top to see whats inside. specs for the carb are 0.086 with a .065x047 rod. The jets in it are that but the rods stamped 6155 or a 6755 kind of hard to read. I did a search but cant find a reference to that stamp. I have an older Carter strip kit 10-201 and one of the rods is 18-544. I can order 2 kits to get the jets ect but would like to know what I am starting with. It also has what looks like a blue stepup spring. Any help would help.
IMG_1201.JPG

Check the fuel pressure. any more than 5# is too much.

Check your float height and set it exactly as Edelbrock specifies. The carbs from them I have checked out of the box have been set too lean, but I have yet to see an Edelbrock carb come out of the box set exactly as they are supposed to be. Oh, Very Cool looking outfit. More eye candy please!

5-6 psi is fine.

Perhaps a trip to Summit racing or Edelbrock.com and see if you can find out what is supposed to be inside the carb to start with?

As for metering rods, get a micrometer and measure the rods to find the sizes. I do it cause I can't read the #'s either. ruffcut

Calipers would do also

5-6 psi is fine.

Perhaps a trip to Summit racing or Edelbrock.com and see if you can find out what is supposed to be inside the carb to start with?
Looked on Eddys site Pri jet is 86 with a .065x.047 rod. #1 carb has the 86s but a .067x.055 rod. If I had some 83 jets I would use the rods I have and see if it cleans up. Float height was spot on the drop was about 1/8 inch to low, fixed now. Will order a Walker kit half the $ and they make it for Ed. To be continued.

I had a 2 X 4 factory '62 Chrysler 300H intake on a 426 Street Wedge in a '64 Polara 500. The stock AFB's were 500 cfm. and were jetted pretty lean. After a lot of experimenting, I got it running well with following setup; rear (primary) carb - .089 front jets with .068/.052 rods, .086 rear jets
front (secondary) carb - .089 front jets with .068/.052 rods, .089 rear jets
This was with 1962 Carter AFB, not newer Edelbrocks. I hope this helps.

Check your float height and set it exactly as Edelbrock specifies. The carbs from them I have checked out of the box have been set too lean, but I have yet to see an Edelbrock carb come out of the box set exactly as they are supposed to be. Oh, Very Cool looking outfit. More eye candy please!
Pretty ratty looking now but we are on the way. 63 Belvedere. Along with the 383 it has a push button 727 and a 355 suregrip 8 3/4. Should be a fun car.
IMG_1207.JPG
IMG_1203.JPG
IMG_1204.JPG

After doing more research I found Edelbrock has Specific carbs for a dual set up. They are an AVS style but it should not matter. They really lean out the secondary side from a 95 to a 77 jet and a leaner front rod from 65x52 to 65x57. Got the parts ordered and will set it up that way and go from there.

Well I got all the parts to put this baby back to Eddy spec and it runs real good. Still might play with the primary side and go a bit leaner with some rods. Fuel pressure is @ 4.5 psi. Did some other work on it like fixing the Push Button 727 leak, the Sonnax pressure regulator valve really helped with convertor drain back. It really needs a stall convertor and some shorter gears, has 355s now. Without knowing what cam is in it is a crap shoot. Idle vaccum is @10hg so the power brakes are marginal. has 10 inch in front and 11s in back will go with discs later on. Getting all the electrical bugs sorted the car is from the desert SW so everything is Dusty/ Crusty on the second can of WD-40 spraying switches, doors ect. Might load it up and hit the local strip and see how She dose. Not going to get crazy. Happy Camper Now.

Auto Transport Service
Back