• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

edelbrock mileage?

barbee6043

Local time
11:44 AM
Reaction score
gonna need to put the 73 sat on road to work next year. MILEAGE????? cruisin country road 55, 318 stock except has 750 edelbrock, auto, 3:23. i asked edelbrock and they said the too big carb won't affect mileage or drivability. any guys got a B body that you know the mileage on? i have the original 2 bbl the kid took off. i know a thermoquad will do better ?? but how to find a good one of those?? thanks for any help/ BILL

on a stock 318 a 500 cfm edelbrock runs great,i know i have used them several times.the key to getting good millage when you have a 4 barrel carb is too keep out of the gas pedal.the secondaries only kick in when you step on it,otherwise it will get the same millage as a two barrel.true millage on a car is not only determined by the carb,tune up quality and how you drive are major factors as well.that being said,you should be able to get 14 mpg easy with a good motor.

not to be an ***, but if you are worried about mileage , you need to get yourself a honda for real. these cars were never designed to get any kind of mileage especially with a four barrel. there are SO many variables that effect gas mileage.
tire pressure
driving habits
carb tuning and mixture
transmission
gears
timing
tire size

your best bet is to stop looking at the gas gauge and enjoy the car or get yourself a 2010 camry.
i daily drive a 318 duster with a 1406 and the last the thing im going to worry about is whether im getting 10 MPG or 20 MPG
bad mileage with a small block in a heavy B body just comes with the territory. i got worse mileage with my 2 barrel than i have with any properly tuned 4 barrel as long as i keep my foot out of it

The TQ will probably be your best bet because they are designed to be street carbs for production cars. I ran one a long time ago on a 318 and it probably got 15 on the highway, maybe better. I was even tweaking the metering rod piston adjusting screw to dial in the leanest possible cruise mixture. The Eddy carb can do very well also but if you have access to a good TQ (parts store rebuild maybe?) and the appropriate intake then go with that. If you really want to know what's going on get an O2 sensor readout from Innovate Motorsports.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and I do like to pay attention to mileage because using more fuel than necessary is not only wasteful but damaging to the engine. If an engine is designed for power and is properly tuned, and gets 10 MPG, then so be it. But for my drivers I want the lean best mixture across the board.

tire pressure
driving habits
carb tuning and mixture
transmission
gears
timing
tire size

being a truck driver for many years and still having trucks with drivers in similar spec'd trucks the biggest factor for fuel mileage is "driving habits". once the driver is on the same page as you the rest of the list is fine tuning. ooops, forgot, bonus for achieving set goal. :thinker:

i'm semi retired so cosy of gettin to work is a factor! had a 95 ranger but it died after 316,000 mi! the 95 3500 cummins (4:10 gear) gets 18 ( 13 w/ trailer), but have seen it get much better crusin at 50 on back roads. camry? i understand the point but almost an insult! LOL. i realy was lookin for another s/6 A body but couldn't find anything for what i thought was a fair price. i would sell the sat. but don't see anyone buying right now. thanks for the input. i like a good runnin thermoguard, but the last 6 i tried to rebuild didn't fly. thanks again, BILL

I get 27 mpg out of my 74 satellite, with a 318 2 barrel (stock). So assuming you can be gentle with the right pedal you should expect at least 20 mpg I would think. Why running such a big carb on a stock 318 though?

**edit** That 27 mpg was straight highway driving with no stops and no traffic, keeping at a steady 65 mph. So real world mpg will vary, though I do still tend to get over 20 mpg with about a 50/50 mix of city and hwy driving.

i'm semi retired so cosy of gettin to work is a factor! had a 95 ranger but it died after 316,000 mi! the 95 3500 cummins (4:10 gear) gets 18 ( 13 w/ trailer), but have seen it get much better crusin at 50 on back roads. camry? i understand the point but almost an insult! LOL. i realy was lookin for another s/6 A body but couldn't find anything for what i thought was a fair price. i would sell the sat. but don't see anyone buying right now. thanks for the input. i like a good runnin thermoguard, but the last 6 i tried to rebuild didn't fly. thanks again, BILL
no insult intended my friend. the eddy carbs get great mileage when tuned properly given everything else is at its best. i think you mean thermoquad? those can be good carbs when they are running right as well.

thanks for the reply. the car had the big edelbrock on it when i got it, it ran well, i call edelbrock teck, theu s aid the bg carb wouldn't cause any problems and mileage would be bout the same~!?? i would sell or trade th bigger carb for the smaller one but don't want to trade for a problem carb! thanks again for the replies. BILL

I had a very mild 360 in a 71 Dart with 3.23s and a 904. Thermoquad, mild Crane cam, stock iron TQ intake, headers. If I drove with my big toe on the gas, I could squeak out 20. Now, when I swapped in 4.10s for the strip, all that was out the window. That was a fun car. It went 13.90s with the 3.23 and 13.60s with the 4.10. The Thermoquad is a wonderous beast when it's right.

Auto Transport Service
Back