• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Edelbrock questions...

Tori

Local time
2:43 PM
Reaction score
Hi guys,... have some questions for the Edelbrock guru's. I've google searched these questions but not really found the answers so thought i'd come here and start some dialogue.

So here's my story - (car in signature) Running Edelbrock 1406
A couple weeks ago the car started running like crap, - loading up. Pulled the top off the carb carefully so i could see just what was in the bowls expecting to see some junk, although the fuel filter is 100% spotless. I use a clear, large paper pleated type filter before the carb and you can see there isn't even a speck frolicking around inside there. Anyway, the bowls were spotless. Next i carefully pulled out each float needle, one clean, the other had one grain of sand stuck to the rubber seat. GREAT ! Problem solved. Put it back together, and car was running perfect again.
This lasted for about 2 days when it started running rough again. It also started to make a jingle noise from one of the Metering Jets.

I had a opportunity to buy a known good 1406 from a friend for $80. And the one i had been using has the metering rod cover plate screw hole stripped and damaged (prior owner's handy work)

So, i swap on the new 1406, pop it's top to make sure it's clean (which it was) and to check float levels. Starts right up, definitely idles different (not different RPM) and there is the jingle-rattle noise from both Metering Rods. You can put your finger on the cover plates and feel them, plus then the noise is muffled. Searching the net shows this happens, and the cure is a lighter step up spring. - WHY WOULD THIS BE HAPPENING WHEN IT NEVER DID BEFORE ?

Next question is regarding the choke. My 1st 1406 would start cold better than a brand new fuel injected car. One pump of the pedal to set the choke, and 1/2 a revolution of the motor and it was fired and running smooth on the high idle. Kicked down just like it was supposed to. It was amazing how well it started cold.

This new to me carb doesn't start so well. I've adjusted the choke same as the old one, but it doesn't seem to have a high idle. IS THE HIGH IDLE ADJUSTABLE ?

Don't know about the first part, but there is a high idle adjust when choke is on, hard to get to as it's on the underside of linkage.

Thank you sir, just peeked at my old one, and i see what your talking about. That'll be an easy fix.... hopefully.

Last edited:
Too high idle setting or a vacuum leak will cause the jets to raise. I would rule out any vacuum leaks, including the vacuum advance diaphragm.

The old carb may still have some dirt inside that you couldn’t see and re entered the system causing the same issue again. Did you change the gas filter?

If a grain of sand got in before, that filter should be fired and replaced with a new one. Then disassemble the top and clean it out.

On the new carb, perhaps what ever run it has seen has allowed the insides to get a little more gummed up that one may think causing erratic idle and low speed issues not normal seen. That may require mire fuel being let in at the rod and net to overcome the issue. It is ether jet up or disassemble and clean out. That’s all I can quickly think of.

Good luck! The carbs aren’t hard but it can be a pain in the backside to get right sometimes.

A) What color are metering rod springs installed ?

Just because you have two different used 1406 carbs , doesn’t mean they are running the same metering rod springs

Someone could have changed them out

B) What is your vacuum reading at engine idle in park and in gear
What RPM’s at idle in park and in gear

yeahthat.gif

Auto Transport Service
Back