• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Edlebrock AVS 800CFM won't fit Intake manifold

nomadci

Local time
1:47 AM
Reaction score
I have a Mopar dual quad setup with Mopar intake 2780544. The motor is a 528 Hemi. The carbs I have are Edlebrock AVS 800CFM's. Problem is the butterflys can't fully close because the holes on the intake are too small. So my solution was to purchase an Edlebrock Pro4 EFI system. Problem is I ordered it in November and it looks like it could be a few more months before it arrives. So is buying a pair of 426 Carter AFB's (replicas) a viable solution to get me on the road till the EFI system arrives?.....HELP

Yes.
Or even switch to a single 4 barrel intake

Would it be easy to enlarge the holes to 1 11/16 1967 fit the carbs.
I would think if you knew anyone compentent with a drill press they could do it.

In 1967 Model year the RO23 factory Hemi race cars featured a modified
factory intake to fit the large primary carbs as delivered = Plus several other
features. If you find a picture of that intake most any machine shop that wanted
to could duplicate it. I think back then Arlen Vanke was responsible for getting
Mopar to do this modification.

This is a much easier fix on your Wallet!

Last edited:
So is buying a pair of 426 Carter AFB's (replicas) a viable solution to get me on the road till the EFI system arrives?.....HELP

That’s not exactly a very cost effective temporary solution - probably $1300 delivered. But I guess you could resell them later.

1) Get carbs that fit the intake
2) make intake fit the carbs
3) wait for EFI, will it fit the intake?

I have a Mopar dual quad setup with Mopar intake 2780544. The motor is a 528 Hemi. The carbs I have are Edlebrock AVS 800CFM's. Problem is the butterflys can't fully close because the holes on the intake are too small. So my solution was to purchase an Edlebrock Pro4 EFI system. Problem is I ordered it in November and it looks like it could be a few more months before it arrives. So is buying a pair of 426 Carter AFB's (replicas) a viable solution to get me on the road till the EFI system arrives?.....HELP
I would pull the manifold and lay the carb gasket in place and trace the openings. Determine then if it is possible to enlarge the openings with a carbide cutting bit. You could also consider these https://www.manciniracing.com/trpecaad3.html

use some phenolic carb spacers between the intake and carb / throttle body

1) Get carbs that fit the intake
2) make intake fit the carbs
3) wait for EFI, will it fit the intake?
Fortunately the EFI comes with its own intake.

use some phenolic carb spacers between the intake and carb / throttle body
Just purchased these off eBay, I'll start with the least expensive solution and work my way up from there.

s-l1600.jpg

Neither the intake or the carb is Spread bore
Standard Square bore spacer would be better.

Finally received Edlebrock Pro4 EFI dual quad. Also purchased Edlebrock fuel sump system. Installation scheduled for this upcoming weekend. Took the car to muffler shop this weekend and had O2 sensor bung welded into passenger side header collector. Purchased all necessary vent hoses and manifold pressure hose. I plan on taking a full installation video to be posted on youtube. Link to fllow. I did take intake height measurements as well as air cleaner fitment. So far so good.

Auto Transport Service
Back