• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Educate me on premium sound options

Hemirunner

Local time
7:39 AM
Reaction score
What premium sound options exist and how would they be coded? The 70 RR that I cut up has what appears to be some kind of sound system upgrade with these dash speakers and some sort of fade control? I have no plans to use this stuff but thought the education would be enlightening.

1CEECA06-F61B-4A1A-8B20-80DFC48186B1_zpsk07kfkwp.jpg

5736F5F4-E4CE-43C6-A66C-2BCCD7DC2AF3_zpsiywxkte4.jpg

416CDCB8-3B71-40F7-8997-B7EE76CB1D5A_zps7f1nadrq.jpg

I believe that is simply a fader. Not a whole lot going on but effectively works like a balance between front and rear speakers. Works best with FM, casette and other stereo signals.

Were there any other sound options in these cars besides an upgrade from AM to AM/FM? Did they offer rear speakers or factory installed 8 tracks?

My 68 has the 3 speaker dash with the same corner speaker covers as you have. It came with a crossover box and harness but no fader controll. Think it was for the later cars like yours. From what I can gather the 3 speaker setup was used with an AM-FM or an AM 8 track. I dont know if the 8 track was available in 68. I have been looking for examples at shows but havent found any yet. I got a good used AM radio and spliced in the crossover with new speakers from a vendor here and belive it or not everything works. Hold on to those covers they are a little hard to find. The AM stations are few and far between and usually talk radio so FM would be nice.

I plan on reusing the speaker covers but have no use for the fader control. It sounds as if the systems of the day were pretty crude!

Was there two different AM radios that had different watt outputs?

I think you're right. The standard AM radio had 2 watts, while the premium system had 5.

Auto Transport Service
Back