• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EFI help for a carb - New product from K&N

Brewzer67

Local time
12:11 PM
Reaction score
While getting my daily car reading in I found this:

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/new-tame-carbs-idle-drivability-kns-eci-plate/

It's basically a mini EFI setup to fine tune your carb's mixture. For carb guys that can't get it quite right this lets you tune everything a little lean and it enriches it to proper ratios. It doesn't look too complex and shouldn't need a bunch of changes to your fuel system. I think it may have a place for the daily driver crowd but not sure it will have enough capacity to fix mixtures for bigger cfm/rpm guys.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Dang...it looks cool, but if I had room for that under my hood I slap a 2nd stage of nitrous on the motor.

It would be interesting if you could "pass it around". I mean, if you could dial in your carburetor, then stick a plug in the oxygen sensor hole, replace it with a 1" carb spacer & pass it along to the next guy. I wonder what you do about the dual exhaust too since it appears to only include one oxygen sensor?

Doesn't EFI require around 60 PSI supplied to the injector/s? I see no mention in the article of that situation?
Mike

Doesn't EFI require around 60 PSI supplied to the injector/s? I see no mention in the article of that situation?
Mike
Me either. That is what interests me. They go out of their way on their website to emphasize that no pump change is needed. But if you watch the video on their page it talks about just turning the key to have it fire off. There's no way that's happening without some sort of electric pump. I also want to know how it will handle fuel percolating. There needs to be more than a mechanical pump to do all they are saying it will do.
https://www.knfilters.com/mobile/eci

Looks like a granny fix for someone with the wrong carb

For a ‘street price’ of $700, why wouldn’t anyone bolt on a full featured TBI EFI kit that ‘self learns’ for only $1,000?

This kit has one injector, it pulls fuel from your current fuel supply (I’m guessing pressurizes it) and sprays a fine mist into the manifold to compensate for a lean air-to-fuel mixture. It can only aid the engine in running richer, and only to a point which is undisclosed. I don’t see them selling many, maybe @ $399 this would have been an average seller, not $699. Owners would be better off paying $20 for a super-tuning carb manual than learning the complexities of the software that accompanies this.

Last edited:
I agree. $399 would at least be considerable. Especially in light of what you pay for an AFR meter. I think this is the lazy way out for the guy that just doesn't quite get the art of tuning a carb down to that Nth degree (or that doesn't want to). If it has enough capacity with the single low pressure injector it would at least give the less capable guys a chance at getting it right. The problem is, most out of the box carbs are already closer to the rich side than the lean side so it's probably not going to give most purchasers what they are looking for anyways. No one wants to sell an off the shelf carb that is potentially going to be lean and burn up a motor, so most of the time you are fighting the tune from the wrong end of the ratio anyways. That means you would probably want to lean things out to allow this to do it's thing but now you run the risk of burning stuff up if this unit falters at all. I am always interested in technology but I am also very skeptical. I ran a Holley Pro-Jection unit when they first came out in the late 80's/early 90's as an early adopter. It was amazing what a difference it made from a drivability perspective but it was far from suitable for high performance. Under 450 horsepower it was very respectable. Get to 451 and it was all over. I'll definitely follow this from the fascination factor but I don't hold out tons of hope that it will deliver much success.

Auto Transport Service
Back