• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electric A/C Compressor

old-school

Local time
9:00 PM
Reaction score
Good evening everyone. Just found out today there are 12 volt A/C compressors that can be mounted anywhere on the car because no belt is required. Does anyone have information on this option. Would make things a lot easier for my system. Thanks, Clint.

I have seen this topic brought up before. It is not in the cards so forget about it. To many negatives. Why can't you run a belt driven compressor?

I have seen this topic brought up before. It is not in the cards so forget about it. To many negatives. Why can't you run a belt driven compressor?

Too bad. It would be really cool being able to place whole a/c systems out of the engine bay. :)

Sounded like a good idea. It shall be belt driven. Just have to collect a few different pulleys. One belt at the moment. No power steering.

You have to remember that electric vehicles don't run on 12vdc. Most are high voltage ac or dc which would bring the anp draw down.

Good evening everyone. Just found out today there are 12 volt A/C compressors that can be mounted anywhere on the car because no belt is required. Does anyone have information on this option. Would make things a lot easier for my system. Thanks, Clint.
Isn't this the same hardware used in the new EV's? Similar to the hermetic compressor used in your refrigerator and window A/C units. Several years ago, I had an acquaintance adapt a 3 ton window A/C compressor in his car.....of course it needed an inverter to make 12 volt DC to 120 volt square wave AC (the waveform resembled a 60 Hz sine wave)....the trade off was no mechanical load on the engine, but required a larger alternator to supply the power to the inverter.....But today's compressor's use a brushless DC motor using a microprocessor to control its RPMs and ultimately the capacity of the refrigerant system. The system still needs fans to move air thru the evaporator and the condenser at low vehicle speeds, both of which can be microprocessor controlled. The concept is not new, but becoming more practical as the EVs evolve......just my opinion of course.....
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back