• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electric Cars and Lithium Batteries

Dave6T4

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:24 AM
Reaction score
Yesterday, LG, of South Korea, and Stellantis announced a joint venture to build a new facility in Windsor, Ontario, the long time home of the former Chrysler's assembly plant. This 5 billion dollar investment on their part will produce lithium-ion batteries for electric vehicles. Both provincial and federal governments have announced their support for the enterprise, but did not disclose $ figures. The two levels of government have already invested in plant conversions to produce electric vehicles at Honda in Alliston, General Motors in Oshawa and Ingersoll, and Ford in Oakville, Ontario. There has been further tax money slated for installing charging stations across Canada. The push is on!I
This announcement made me question where lithium came from, hoping it was not Russia. The #1 supplier is Australia, #2 is South America, and #3 is China. Lithium is a trace element in sea water, but it is very expensive to extract it directly from water. It seems that it is presently mined from former dry sea beds. Although these lithium-ion batteries are tied to conservation and green energy, the mining process for lithium is anything but that. The process is quite destructive and is compared to coal mining. It is quite doubtful that all the heavy equipment used in this mining is battery powered. Some experts project that these deposits could be exhausted as early as 2025. That seems very short term. I am no scientist, but if I were looking for lithium deposits in U.S.A., I would likely start by digging up the Bonneville Salt Flats. I guess there are different shades of green, but the prominent one remains $$$.

Although these lithium-ion batteries are tied to conservation and green energy, the mining process for lithium is anything but that. The process is quite destructive and is compared to coal mining.

giphy.gif

I go round and round with a very very left guy at work about this.....and what your thinking is just the tip of the iceberg.
I can't wait to see the fallout of batteries from the cold states and even the hot ones. How are we supplying all the extra power? What about all the lost gas tax for the roads?

Almost all power lines ( that I'm aware of) in Michigan are overhead and on wooden poles....sound like a problem to me.
Should be a **** show!

I go round and round with a very very left guy at work about this.....and what your thinking is just the tip of the iceberg.
I can't wait to see the fallout of batteries from the cold states and even the hot ones. How are we supplying all the extra power? What about all the lost gas tax for the roads?

Almost all power lines ( that I'm aware of) in Michigan are overhead and on wooden poles....sound like a problem to me.
Should be a **** show!
I’m sure they will find a new tax to hit us with as usual

.....batteries are primitive in comparison to the demands we put on them. Storage is the most difficult part of the whole "green" movement. They had no plan.....no concept of how to achieve carbon reductions and ultimately will drive the public to even more consumption to validate their process. My grandfather was an engineer for General Dynamics for decades and his philosophy when designing new and improved anything was first.....make it work......second, make it cost effective. The green movement had done neither. I have friends with battery cars and they all have the same issues, and the biggest is time. Charging these cars at home takes a lot of time......8hrs on average with 220v. That's a full time job.

I am all for being " Green" but it is too extreme. It has to be all or nothing to some people. All cars need to be electric, although how are we going to produce the electricity, mine the lithium,or build the infrastructure to feed these vehicles. If you want to drive an E.V. that is your choice. I will be ready for a new van next spring. The dealer is trying to push me to an electric Transit. Sorry that's just not my thing. I might be interested in looking at a Hybrid, but it is my choice.

You can get hydrogen out of Lots of things. If there ever is an efficient enough alternative I would think hydrogen fuel cell technology would be it.

We’ll just have to put diesel exhaust stacks out the roof of our cars so as not to form “black ice” on the roads up here in the cold north! Lol

Last edited:
The plan is flawed, the cart is before the horse.
VW (the largest car company in the world)
toyota
Elon musk all say the system cannot support it

44C062AC-4D0F-4F78-BF57-CFF84FE182FF.jpeg 6205BED0-C8BE-4393-97C1-81F3258A4ADC.jpeg 8A3E1B1A-983A-4B5B-A9B7-1C9CEF913AA2.jpeg 9F1DEB45-E39E-45C6-92FA-B50419F1BE27.jpeg 251670BB-3993-445D-B7A2-C3C51AFEB8E4.jpeg 00D5DD6E-F938-4476-9CC4-DECCA9F59A27.jpeg

Last edited:
Everyone will be taxed by the mile. So even our analog cars will have to be equipped with an “Obama box”.
If it's questionable that Michelle has a obama box , i know i sure as hell won't have one.

How many active volcanoes do we currently have?

...here ya go

How many volcanoes are currently active in the world?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTeGeCPHmzjCAg7S3HT0clNuJOGMItPsW7OTcSWWEIQ1g&s.jpg

There are about 1,350 potentially active volcanoes worldwide, aside from the continuous belts of volcanoes on the ocean floor at spreading centers like the Mid-Atlantic Ridge.

It's going to be interesting to see a mass
exodus out of Houston during the approach
of a cat 5 hurricane and the subsequent
power outage for a week after.

Most of the electricity produced is from coal, natural gas, and nuclear. If anyone claims a vehicle is zero emissions it's bs. In order for the electricity to get in that ev battery there had to be additional coal and natural gas burned first somewhere else.

Truth in advertising should prevail here. An electric car is a "remote emissions" vehicle.

Truth in advertising should prevail here. An electric car is a "remote emissions" vehicle.

It's an eco terrorist on wheels driven by well meaning idiots.
What about when the batteries are dead? How do you dispose of them?

Post #14, that's just the beginning. Next will be limiting how much you can charge it for, won't be able to get to work, which will push people in to more cities where they can control you better....Soylent Green.

Auto Transport Service
Back