• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electric Fan Air Conditioning?

dodge68charger

Local time
8:01 PM
Reaction score
I’m Running Air Conditioning On My 383 Engine From Vintage Air As Well As Dual Spal Electric Fans.

Is There a Certain Electric Fan Wiring Kit That I Should Get To Use With an Air Conditioning Setup or Does It Matter.

Thanks

No engine driven fan ? Just electric ? Usually you have the fans run full time with the A/C on.
Vintage Air web site may give you a part # that works in conjunction with your thermo switch for the fans.
I kinda remember seeing a VA YouTube that shows the wiring and different set ups.
Best I can tell you off the top of my head.

No engine driven fan ? Just electric ? Usually you have the fans run full time with the A/C on.
Vintage Air web site may give you a part # that works in conjunction with your thermo switch for the fans.
I kinda remember seeing a VA YouTube that shows the wiring and different set ups.
Best I can tell you off the top of my head.
Usually, there needs to be a fairly constant air flow across the condenser to effectively remove the heat from the refrigerant, allowing it to condense back to a liquid to return back to evaporator.....especially at low speeds and in traffic....at highway speed, not so much. If the refrigerant pressure becomes excessive, due to not enough heat being removed in the condenser due to low air flow, the high pressure relief valve may open, venting both the refigerant and oil.......short answer is YES...adequate air flow is a must.....run both or at least one of the cooling fans when in the AC mode.......just my opinion of course.....
BOB RENTON

Many of the new cars have what Bob is talking about. Some have 1 fan that is 2 speed and as A/C pressure builds the second speed will kick in.
Others with 2 fans do the same. Usually you can hear this when sitting at a red light.
you should be fine as you have 2 fans. I would run them both while the A/C is on.

Thanks Guys. Just Got to find a quality dual fan harness. Painless or Ron francis wiring maybe

FYI, I have a 88 Dam D350. When temps around here are in the 100* to 120*+ my engine driven fan to me was not enough.
Radiant heat from the asphalt can reach well over 160*.
I installed a 16'' pusher electric fan in front of of the condenser that runs during low speed stop and go driving.Vastly improved the cool cab temps.
At road speed the engine fan is enough.

Going With Either a Painless 30117 or An American Autowire 510001 Kit.

Not Sure If Ones Better Than The Other in The Way They Activate The Fans

I’m Running Air Conditioning On My 383 Engine From Vintage Air As Well As Dual Spal Electric Fans.

Is There a Certain Electric Fan Wiring Kit That I Should Get To Use With an Air Conditioning Setup or Does It Matter.

Thanks
How do you like those dual electric fans? I have a pair of 12" fans on my 68 Charger but they drive me crazy at a stop light. Sounds like a damn train coming. I'm looking for some quieter ones.

No wiring kit necessary, I'd have to look at mine again but I know the fan relay is tied into both the temperature switch and a/c clutch. Runs as needed for cooling and all the time when the A/C is on, also used a fan controller.. not needed but it turns 1 fan on at a certain temp then the second once it goes past another setpoint.

How do you like those dual electric fans? I have a pair of 12" fans on my 68 Charger but they drive me crazy at a stop light. Sounds like a damn train coming. I'm looking for some quieter ones.
Brand makes a huge difference, I'm running twin Spal fans and can't hear them unless the engine is off.

Thanks
Vintage air has a trinary switch for electric fans

I run the dual Spal fans as well on my Charger with A/C. I bought a controller from Auto Cool Guy in CA. Give Darryl a call. Tell him what you have and he will fix you up with a Controller that works like the new vehicles do. The fan comes on slow and ramps up as needed and shuts off when not needed. You don't need any relays. One of the best upgrades I did for my car. His number is 562 367 3225

Auto Transport Service
Back