• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

electric fan hose sensor placement

elevensies

Local time
9:46 PM
Reaction score
im having a brain fart, so

when running en electric fan, in my mind the sensor pickup for the fan control should be mounted in the lower hose, feeding the block, yes/ no ??

iv seen many cars with it on the top hose, and usually they complain of overheating in standing traffic, but the overheating could be other issues. thats not my question here.

BTW this is not about my car its a friends, from far away whos messaging me about the issue.

top or bottom hose ??

On the old Mopars and others,the coolant is pumped thru the "Top" hose into the rad and back to the engine thru the lower hose. The hottest coolant is in the top of the tank.

yeah course, so the fan sensor should be in the top hose... cheers bud

what you could do is use a ground temp sensor like mopar did in the omni 2.5 4 cylinder put it in the water pump housing or intake so when it reaches temp it will supply the ground for the fan.

On the old Mopars and others,the coolant is pumped thru the "Top" hose into the rad and back to the engine thru the lower hose. The hottest coolant is in the top of the tank.
Can't say that I've ever seen a water pump that pumped through the upper hose but I have not owned any older than 1960. I have electric fans on my 68 Charger with a 6.1 Hemi. The fans get there info from a sensor in the water pump housing like the gauge does.

It depends on the sensor turn on and off temperatures.
Some factory cars have the sensor in the lower radiator hose, but turn on at lower temps, like 150-160 degrees.
More common to have sensor at the top (hot side) of the radiator or thermostat housing and have the on temp be around 180+ degrees (on newer cars.)
The Dakota Digital controller is adjustable and can use a multitude of sensors

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index....t_id=852/category_id=403/mode=prod/prd852.htm

I hear this debate all the time. Everyone has an opinion on this and so do I. So I like to put the probe for the electric fans so it senses the temp of the coolant returning to the motor. That way if you’re driving at highway speed, and you have enough airflow going through the rad the fan doesn’t come on. Then when you slow down and don’t have the airflow they kick in. If you have the sensor on the motor or in the rad hose going into the rad it turns the fans on as soon as the thermostat opens up. The trick is finding the temp that works for your engine/rad/fan combo. The temp you want your engine to run and the temp you want your fans to come on are not the same. More overheating problems come from other things than when the fans come on though. Make sure the electrical system is up to the task of feeding the fan, have a proper shroud for the fan, and do whatever you need to make all of the air that goes through the grill pass through the rad, not around it.

Auto Transport Service
Back