• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electric fans

bearman

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:42 PM
Reaction score
How many use the electric fan for cooling and a/c. If you do is it temp or pressure control or both. Just was wondering

Clutch fan,shroud, no a/c; with an external trans cooler added to trans lines.

That fan clutch must be awesome, your weather is high humidity and temp the same correct. Out here in phoenix just hot except for two months. Is that oe a/c or aftermarket
Thermal clutch fan by Ma Mopar. AC.

22" radiator and fixed 7 blade fan. Only once in all my years did I have to run the heater on full to keep from overheating my 4 gear x 383 magnum. Stuck on the 401 in rush hour on a 90*F day.

Electric fans do not normally improve your cooling. Even with a complimentary fan shroud. Your oem fan and/or shroud is very efficient and will yield similar cooling results as an electric fan kit.
You probably want electric fans for the following reasons:
1. because you have an aftermarket pulley system
2. As a racer to save a bit of horsepower
3. If you want a high tech look for your engine compartment.
4. If you do an excessive amount of start and stop driving.

Direct drive 7 blade fan on a 22" radiator with a shroud. It does the job very well, even in traffic in the low - mid 90's.

There’s very few that provides the correct CFM to properly cool a 440, I got tired of trying to find a correct belt pulley set and the after market set wouldn’t work with a Mechanical fan(didn’t find that out till after I bought it) but they look nice and have a electronic thermostat that kicks them off and on

10AC4BDA-A385-498A-AE18-35F35FCC5912.jpeg E9A38388-BD4A-465F-8B60-CACA39B36FEB.jpeg

Moved to North Carolina and had to switch to an Aluminum radiator and electric fan. The 440 wasn't happy with that southern heat. Now...Life is good!!

Moved to North Carolina and had to switch to an Aluminum radiator and electric fan. The 440 wasn't happy with that southern heat. Now...Life is good!!
Ironbuilt do you have a/c

Low humidity here. Classic Auto Air aftermarket. Clutch fan, hood seal, shroud critical. Stays cool extended idling. Traffic jams and insanely long traffic signals.

Electric fans do not normally improve your cooling. Even with a complimentary fan shroud. Your oem fan and/or shroud is very efficient and will yield similar cooling results as an electric fan kit.
You probably want electric fans for the following reasons:
1. because you have an aftermarket pulley system
2. As a racer to save a bit of horsepower
3. If you want a high tech look for your engine compartment.
4. If you do an excessive amount of start and stop driving.
What i was after to see how much the electric fans helped with the a/c againest the oe fan step up. With the electric fan hook up to pressure switch on the high side it would cycle the fan to drop temp in the condenser and results would be cooler at stop lights. As I'm sure there are guys that notice that the a/c gets alittle weak at stop signs. The other reason i i wanted to know is while using temp control for cooling how do they use it for condenser cooling.

I have a 73 New Yorker 4 row brass radiator) (Imperial is 2" wider but would not fit)
I have a serpentine drive with a 195 degree Ma Mopar HD fan clutch and a 9 blade fan with 2 1/2 pitch (these replace 185 degree clutch 7 blade 3" pitch which sounded like a wind tunnel on steroids) this was a service bulletin all mopar parts
My condenser is from a dual air mid 70's van
100 plate 12x12 trans cooler sandwiched between condenser and radiator (only place it would fit)
I have a pair of pusher fans ac pressure and temp controlled- they go off at 28 mph in any case
fan clutch hardly ever comes on mostly if ac is off so no high pressure activation of electric and not hot enough to turn on the temp- I could change this but -whatever-
from experience electric only is inadequate
electric makes AC work much better when stopped for lights
I was "frontswiped" which is why the radiator and condenser were changed to heavier parts I had on hand
I use redline water wetter with the coolant
I have a speed switch between the mechanical spedo cable and trans
I tow, OD 354 gears

Never seen a 9 blade fan, interesting.

What i was after to see how much the electric fans helped with the a/c againest the oe fan step up. With the electric fan hook up to pressure switch on the high side it would cycle the fan to drop temp in the condenser and results would be cooler at stop lights. As I'm sure there are guys that notice that the a/c gets alittle weak at stop signs. The other reason i i wanted to know is while using temp control for cooling how do they use it for condenser cooling.
So I didn't include AC in my list because I really don't feel the electric fan does any better of a job on an AC car than a non ac car. They don't pull more air.

A car runs hotter with AC because there is a reasonable amount of clutch belt tension on the motor when the compressor kicks in. It just plain makes the engine work harder (and hotter). To deal with this issue, you simply add more volume of fluid to your system. ie; run a bigger radiator. Everything else can remain the same. Follow? :)

Also ac cars have the condenser in front of the radiator which is shedding heat which is picked up by the radiator.

I’m saying I’ve never seen a 9 blade on/in a Mopar. I’m excluding motor homes and big trucks.

Auto Transport Service
Back