• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electric Fuel Pump Noise Level

70RoadRrunner

Local time
4:12 PM
Reaction score
I have a Holley Blue pump in my 70 RR.

Short piece of 1/2" hose to inlet
Short piece of hose from outlet to tube
1/2" aluminum tube to regulator in engine compartment

I know electric pumps are noisy but am wondering if I am getting a resonance out of the aluminum tubing.

Anyone have experience with sound difference between aluminum tubing and running hose?

I have the parts to replacement the fuel tank and am considering changing the fuel lines as well if it will reduce the sound.

I know this is a loaded question as noisy is a subjective term.

Thank you in advance.

The empty tubing may be noisier than rubber but the fuel would dampen the sound. I ran 2 blue pumps for years and they are screamers! I went to a Holley rotor pump and it is much quieter.
Mike

Thanks 493.

Everything I have read indicates this pump is normally noisy.

I will try to record the pump running to see what you think.

Its probably as good as it gets.

Fuel pressure is fine and motor runs great.

Do you use rubber insulated clamps to mount the tubing?

There are clamps that are plastic/rubber coated but I am not sure how much insulating they do.

I'm thinking about running the outlet of the pump through a short length of hose into a bucket to see how quiet it can possible be.

It wont be under pressure but it will indicate a best case scenario.

The pump is just loud. Even with a rubber insulator under the mount and rubber behind and around the lines, my black pump sounded like a garbage disposal lol.

Definitely agree with 493 Mike. I have a holley blue on one car, just replaced a Paxton 150, with a trick flow 140, (the Paxton was way too hit-or-miss if it would prime) on the car with 1/2 alum fuel line. The monster Mallory 250 g-rotor is much quieter than the vane pumps, and mine has been LOTS more dependable.
The downside is that the Mallory g-rotor are insanely high priced now.
If you want quieter, I would try the Holley g-rotor version, though I don't have personal experience.
The noise my vane pumps make doesn't bother me, can't hear the pumps over the exhaust when running.

Thank you everyone for confirming what I already believed to be the case.

I'll probably just live with it as it works fine and there is no reason to replace a working part with so many other cool things to buy.

Auto Transport Service
Back